• I've had Ziggy for 3 years now and he is 11 years old. He's in fantastic health - the only issue is chronic bowel problems. I've fed him Steve's Raw Food for about a year and a half and most of the time he does okay on it, although about a third of the time, his stools are either loose or actually runny.

What I've already tried:

• canned unsweetened pumpkin
    • cooked rice
    • Benefiber
    • mixing the regular raw food with chopped veggies
    • getting him to eat slower (he gulps food down)

He recently had a full workup at the vet - blood panel, checked for Fanconi (negative) - and everything has come back okay. The vet's only recommendation was to get him on a "unique protein", that is a protein/meat source that his system has never been exposed to. She suggested venison.

Anyone on the list who has dealt with a confirmed case of irritable bowel? If so, what have you done to treat it?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

• Have you looked into EPI?

• I know that unique protein source has worked for others with IBS, can't hurt to try it….

• Ivoss, I don't know about EPI. What is it?

• Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. It has similar symptoms to to IBS, loose stools. Usually the dog also has a voracious appetite but no weight gain. Dogs with EPI once diagnosed are usually successfully treated with enzymes to break down their food so they can get the nutrients out of it.

Suggested Topics