Skip to content

A coursing vacation

Basenji Training
  • We decided to take our vacation over Thanksgiving this year. First we spent 3 days showing our whippet and coursing in Chicasha Oklahoma staying with my husbands family there for a week. Trog earned his Master courser and our whippet picked up another placement towards her LCM. Then we traveled to Decatur tX for the region 4 invitational where Xander earned his LCM. A busy week, but great way to end the coursing season. Our whippet and Xander each earned a couple more BOBs too;)

  • Wonderful results! Congratulations!

Suggested Topics

  • Anyone ever coursed at…

    Basenji Training
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    lisastewartL
    to earn a JC you run a two JC trials, which are just a single run, by yourself. You could run Sat and Sun and potentially earn a JC. Running JC is a good way to learn.
  • Lure coursing

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    lisastewartL
    Normally the clubs have practices after the Saturday trials. Unfortunately none of the clubs in our area have separate practice days. You might also think about going to some of the lira meets for straight run practices. The schedule is at lgra.org
  • Lure Coursing Brag!

    Basenji Training
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    lvossL
    This coming weekend there is LGRA and NOTRA in Orange County. My mom has the information. I think there is also some racing in December in Orange County. Don't know what the show schedule looks like or if these conflict with any. I do know this time of year is the racing season in So Cal since the parks are available.
  • Lure Coursing in Georgia

    Basenji Training
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    28k Views
    AndrewA
    Yay glad to see some more local interest! As far as training, there is a group called SONG (Sighthounds of North Georgia) that does informal practices once a month or so depending on man power & weather. These practices are a great way to introduce a new dog to the lure. However, for most dogs its an instinctual thing & they don't need much training. Lola & Callie both caught on to it their first time. I just let them both watch other dogs doing it first, then let them go & they did their thing. Website for SONG: http://www.nghounds.info/index_files/Page430.htm It doesn't get updated frequently, but go to the lure coursing practice tab, scroll to the bottom & there are instructions to get on the e-mail list for upcoming practices. Hope to see you lure coursing soon!
  • Coursing Willy

    Basenji Training
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    15k Views
    DukeD
    How fun! WTG Willy! I wish I had time to get Duke into this or agility of sorts. I don't have any time, but I know he'd make me proud like your Willy.
  • Florida Lure Coursing?

    Basenji Training
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    17k Views
    WooflessW
    @lvoss: In order to get a JC your dog does not need to run with another dog. A JC is earned by your dog running the course by itself. It must pass 2 JC tests to earn the title. To certify a dog for ASFA the dog must run with another dog and show that it will not interfere. D'oh! I got the two mixed up :) But that's what I meant, lol…. Most of the lure trials we attended were ASFA trials....I think we did do practice runs at ONE AKC trial, but Jibini was less than 1 year old so I am pretty sure thats why we never did a JC "qualifying" run. I'm tempted to get back into it now that I have my own "pair".....but it always seems money is an issue that makes a 300-400 mile weekend jaunt a bit out of reach!! I also found it disheartening that there were so few Basenjis entered in Florida lure courses, and among those I met, nobody had dogs who could run with a strange dog. However, I enjoyed the time I spent at Lure trials and letting Jibini run....it was fun, even if we didn't get any "alphabet soup" for Jibini's name!!! Defintely an experience well worth it :)