• When I am stressed, I don't retain what is said so I understand your confusion. I'd call the vet back with a list of questions in hand and jot things down. You might call a local pharmacy. None in my town stock them, but they can order for me. 🙂

Another source, Amazon.com.

Don't be sad, you are doing your best! Even if it is Fanconi, dogs can live good lives if found early and controlled.

• If it were my Basenji, I would not go through the expense of an ultrasound until you rule out Fanconi. Does your Vet have access to to blood gases? Or can she get the local hospital to run them? Have you given her the Fanconi Protocol?

Also you can email Dr Gonto or she can with his test results, he is more then happy to review and help anyone with a possible Fanconi dog… His email is on the protocol and you can find a copy at www.basenji.org if you don't have it.

• Thanks debra .. will do. I will talk to her tomorrow and see if we come uo with a plan to figure this thing out. .. I feeling that when we test again everything will be clear… .
    I am having trouble with the offa site it wont load on my computer, its been like that all day. i wil try again tomorrow..

• Thanks a lot Pat, Ive sent her all the info I have found. i will talk to her tomorrow about retesting and doing a blood glucose exam and going from there. I will send her that link as well thank you!!!

• @dmey:

Thanks a lot Pat, Ive sent her all the info I have found. i will talk to her tomorrow about retesting and doing a blood glucose exam and going from there. I will send her that link as well thank you!!!

Yes, it is important that she read the protocol and again, Dr Gonto is always available for a consult… I have had many a Vet spend hours emailing or talking to him.... and owners too... as he will take the time to tell us owners in our terms what everything means.

Here is the direct link to the Protocol

http://www.basenji.org/ClubDocs/fanconiprotocol2003.pdf

• @dmey:

I really appreciate the help, …i am really sad... I just I thought that because of his parents tests that he would be safe ,...... and I hate not knowing, i couldnt sleep last night, worrying, thinking about all this, and I am more confused today.

Since it is a linkage test, it is still recommended to strip test. Though extremely rare, less than 1%, dogs can test as one thing but in reality be something else. In these cases the offspring's results will also appear wrong because the parent's markers are not correct for marking what gene they actually have.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Phil, how is Baron doing. Btw, love his picture… soft spot always for the red and whites.

Baron is doing much better, thanks for asking. I switched his food and am feeding him in conjunction with EVO Redmeat some Trippett New Zealand Green Venison tripe. He seems to like it very much and am in the process of incorporating Orijen into his diet.

Scheduled feeding times helped a lot.

-Phil

• Oh GOOD! Glad he is doing better.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Oh GOOD! Glad he is doing better.

here are a couple of more recent pics:
    http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=10279

• WOW great pictures! He already looks like he is gaining weight, not "ribby" looking!

Suggested Topics