Mommy pass me the tissues, please

• Hello!

Nilo has already turned twelve months old and we have started with OB classes, he is doing pretty well, besides the fact that he still tends to walk ahead when on leash that hopefully one of this years he will improve in…

But what I am concerned about is his behavior change lately, I would say that he started to show kind of a challenging behavior about a month ago, he takes longer at following commands as "off" and "leave" regardless the positive reinforcement, and what is even more surprising: he has started to whine and cry at home when he is looking through the window or in the balcony (not in the crate or when we leave, he is fine), also when we are walking on the street and I stop, he looks at me and starts whining... I do not know if he is complaining or it is just the mating season, but I do not understand. I have not had any dog males so I do not really know how they react.
    Is it question of status? Is it because the mating season?

Thanks for the input:)

• It is most likely because it is Basenji Breeding season I would bet, a little late however… but still considered Basenji Breeding season

• I see…Well I'd rather have Nilo whining because of the breeding season than for other reasons.

Thank you Patty!

• and/or there could be a female in season in your neighborhood

• It could be…the doggies that I know around here are males, but dogs can track a scent far away.

• Good luck with the OB classes, we take Malaika she is just coming up for 11 months.
    I have found the classes to be realy helpful. I do think and have been told by the trainer that as Dogs get older they will test the boundries, just like kids, i suppose 😉
    When she had her season we noticed that she was a little more wilful and took longer to obey, however she has now reverted back to her usual self.

• Thank you, I really have faith in those OB classes, I am sure they will be helpful for both sides of the leash, and yes, these changes started to show up now that he is growing, he obbeys but not as quickly as he used to, I am working on my reinforcement timing, but as mentioned, apparently his hormones are in a high peak as I saw on the dog park where we just came from.

• Both my girls whine and carry on looking out our windows sometimes, as well as when we leave the dog park - it's nothing more than telling us they want to be out there doing their thing, not in the house or leaving the fun. With a male, it may well be breeding season, or, maybe he's just getting old enough to figurea way to tell you he would prefer to be outside playing than being in the house.

• @Shaye's:

With a male, it may well be breeding season, or, maybe he's just getting old enough to figure a way to tell you he would prefer to be outside playing than being in the house.

Hahaha if it was for Nilo, he would be living on the street!

Suggested Topics