• My husband and I are looking at getting a basenji. She was in an accident and had to have an eye removed. Has anyone ever dealt with a basenji with one eye? She would only be a pet.

• Welcome to the forum, sorry have no experience with a Basenji who only has one eye. I think Animals probably adapt better than humans.
    Hope you manage to get your girl and tell us all about her.

• Poor little dear, but how wonderful of you guys for thinking of getting her. Have you been able to spend any time with her in a home or outdoor environment? How long ago did she lose the eye, and why?

I am wondering, since basenjis rely on sight a great deal, if she might be a little 'anxious' of things on that side of her body. Just speculation, but I have seen that in another animal before. If that is the case, IMO just ensure there are no sudden actions from that side until she gets used to her limited vision in her new home/environment. I do agree with Shelley, in that animals usually adapt better than humans.

• @Kipawa:

Poor little dear, but how wonderful of you guys for thinking of getting her. Have you been able to spend any time with her in a home or outdoor environment? How long ago did she lose the eye, and why?

I am wondering, since basenjis rely on sight a great deal, if she might be a little 'anxious' of things on that side of her body. Just speculation, but I have seen that in another animal before. If that is the case, IMO just ensure there are no sudden actions from that side until she gets used to her limited vision in her new home/environment. I do agree with Shelley, in that animals usually adapt better than humans.

She was hit by a car. They said that she has no other problems from the accident and they're willing to meet us halfway as we live in different states.

• You could say I have lots of experience with a one eyed basenji. :O)

My avatar picture shows Drew enjoying (and excelling in) lure coursing and as you can see from my signature - having one eye has not slowed him down - he is truly a one-eyed wonder dog. Many of his performance titles have been earned since he had his right eye enucleated.

He is the only basenji to ever qualify for the AKC National Agility Championships (and he did it again this year!), he will be showing at the AKC Agility Invitational in Long Beach this December (along with Feigh) and he only needs three more double q's for his PAX - where he will be the first and only basenji to achieve this title.

Having only one eye is not a problem.

If you have any specific concerns or questions - please let me know. Feel free to email me off forum as well.

GLASS BUBBLERS

• I have two Bs that are sight impaired in one eye, one is mostly blind in the one eye. The younger one seems to have more problems and I am careful about how I approach him from his blind side. They both compensate really well and I am surprised at how they chase small animals in the yard. Yesterday, he saw a squirrel and ran from the house and knew it went up in the tree. He was trying to climb the tree and was also running around the tree to get to the squirrel.

I had an older B who had sight problems and if you approached her from the top at a certain angle to pet her, she could not see your hand until it reached a certain point. The eye doctor demonstrated it to me. She would be startled by your hand since she could not see it right away and move her head down and back away.

Jennifer

• Linda you are inspiring!

Bless you for adopting this dog. Even most blind dogs adjust so one eye… give her time she'll be fine.

• As soon as I read the first post I thought of Sinbaje and her avatar. I hadn't realised Linda just how talented he is. Congratulations to Drew for his many great successes.

Suggested Topics