Skip to content

Watery eyes

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Hi 11yr old and 3yr old basenjis have right eyes watering. Its started happening about 2 weeks ago for the 11yr old one but 3 days ago for the younger one. Any ideas? Im taking them in to see the vet on friday but wanted to gather some info here first.

  • Maybe allergies or a touch of conjunctivitis? My B has had both and the vet gave us some eye drops that took care of it. Hope your guys feel better soon!

Suggested Topics

  • Shadowing of the eyes

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Please post an update when you see the specialist.
  • Mottling in eye(s)

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    14k Views
    tanzaT
    Yes, bronzing is quite common in Basenjis and often it is mistaken for possible beginning of PRA. I had a bitch like that and so was her son. You need a good eye specialist that understands and knows the breed. So, yes, that is good news for your boy….. especially seeing there is PRA in his pedigree (and my bitch & her son carried some of the same dogs in their pedigree so I am quite familar with the bloodlines)
  • Red rimmed eyes

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    8k Views
    D
    I would take him to an opthalmologist for an exam though because there are lots of thing that it could be besides this. He could also be having really bad allergies that is causing inflamation of his eyes. Jennifer
  • Eye issue

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    71
    0 Votes
    71 Posts
    51k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Pat, yeah, it was many but the specialist from GA (who does CERF btw, or did, could be retired at this point) said all were iris to iris and none should cause her issues. But you can still see them. I am comforted to know that a lot of strands don't pass as I honestly don't remember seeing that limitation, only on placement. Been a long time since I looked at CERF. But the issue was and then, the person LIED. She sent me a puppy for my child, who already had more on her than any child should with my health issues, that she obviously had no clue about– a puppy she had no clue about it's eye health. And then wanted her back if I wasn't going to breed her as she would. Yeah, over my dead body.
  • Blue eyes?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    25k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Of course required for artificial… reread and don't know where you got I didn't know that. I said: As for proving, if you are not using semen, you don't have to test generally. Pretty clear I know if you use semen (ie not live cover) you have to test. But you ALSO have to test when producing lots of litters. I saw no reason to get into the specifics there. But let me state it clearly so you don't argue more on item that has nothing to do with the issue.. If you use semen (ie not live cover) you have to do DNA. If you do live cover, generally you do NOT have to do DNA unless you 1. use more than one stud 2. the stud produces a certain number of litters (not looking up number) and a few other situations. And Pat, chill, really. I didn't say looks was the ONLY. My point, which I stated repeatedly, is that the African dogs also don't KNOW for sure if pure basenji.
  • Basenji Eyes

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    11k Views
    MaxBooBooBearM
    I'm glad to hear the spinal tap went so easily. What a brave little girl Keba is. When I first saw she was getting a spinal tap, I thought oh–that sounds painful. I hope things start improving for her.