• Hello. I'm looking to buy a basenji and I'm have troubles finding a breeder in Alberta, preferably near the Edmonton area. Does anyone have a basenji and if so, where did you buy from? I'm very interested in the breed and would like to start the process ASAP!

Thanks!:)

• Hey Brianne,
    I'm from Edmonton, too, and I researched the breeders that I found close to home, and I was left pretty unsatisfied… When I do get my Basenji, I'll be buying from a breeder out of province... have you considered looking into breeders from further away? I'm no expert, just a fellow Edmontonian who is interested in B's.
    The BCOC has a list of registered breeders - good place to start. 🙂 Welcome to the forum!!
    http://www.basenjiclubofcanada.com/BCOC-BreedersDirectory.html

• Thanks! I was thinking about that too. Are you talking about getting a pup shipped to you or traveling to the other province to get him/her?

I had a couple worries about that.. If I got the pup shipped, would the personalities mesh? My friends dog had a littler of pups about 6 months ago and I spent a lot of time with them and they are all so different, you can really get a bond with just one.

And if I were to travel there, would the drive back be too long with a puppy? And I wouldn't want to risk flying and have to "store" my pup on the plane.

Any suggestions? Or what were your plans? 😕

• I have both shipped and travelled to get a pup. The suitability of the pups to my household was never an issue with either. I was very honest and very descriptive about my household and expectations and the breeder who knows the pups the best, did a wonderful job of matching the puppy to my household. Even with people who live nearby and visit frequently, it is the breeder who selects the puppy for the person because they know them best and that behavior that seems "cute" in an hour visit may be the completely unlivable in your household on a daily basis.

Young basenji puppies can ride in a sherpa in the plane with you, they do not have to fly cargo. This is exactly how I brought my girl Rally home with me. She did great and had no ill effects from the trip.

Shipping a dog on the other hand requires it to fly cargo. This can be very stressful for some young puppies and others seem to take it in stride.

My preference is for people to pick up their puppies and fly them back in a sherpa with them.

• @lvoss:

Young basenji puppies can ride in a sherpa in the plane with you

What exactly is a sherpa? Pictures of one? Thanks.

• @Kipawa:

What exactly is a sherpa? Pictures of one? Thanks.

http://www.sherpapet.com/

And I have the same opinion as lvoss. I do not ship puppies, if there is travel involved you have to come pick up the puppy. This past March we brought 3 puppies home in Sherpa's (2 in one, 1 in the other) from Chicago to San Francisco.

And agree that it is the breeder that picks the puppy as lvoss stated it is the breeder that knows the pups the best and can pick the best pup for the potential new home.

• Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of good advice here.

• Welcome to the forum - I hope you're soon able to find a Basenji.

• Hey Brianne! Sorry for not responding sooner.
    My plan is exactly what Lvoss described - flying there and meeting everyone and then hopefully taking a puppy home with me in the plane. Anyway, good luck in finding something that works for you!

• Welcome to the forum! Hope you find your puppy soon!

• Houston

Welcome to the forum..I wish you the best of luck in finding your perfect little puppy.

• Hi anyone knows where to buy a basenji? Any idea if it will survive on cold wethear? I am from edmonton.

• @brian04

@brianne said in Basenjis in Edmonton, Alberta:

Hello. I'm looking to buy a basenji and I'm have troubles finding a breeder in Alberta, preferably near the Edmonton area. Does anyone have a basenji and if so, where did you buy from? I'm very interested in the breed and would like to start the process ASAP!

Thanks!:)

Contact the Basenji Club of Canada and also try looking for a breeder at www.basenji.org there is a link to search for breeders. There are Canadian breeders there (if I remember right)

• No Basenji breeders right around Edmonton anymore. Closest is a breeder in Calgary. Most of the Basenjis around here recently have been coming from Beaubri kennels in Mission, BC. She breeds nice Basenjis.
    -Joanne

Suggested Topics