Skip to content

Too Hot Even For A Basenji!

Basenji Talk
  • Dolce and I went for a walk today in the middle of the afternoon. With a heat index well over 100 degrees she was panting like a crazy in the first few minutes of our walk. Then she did something completely unexpected, she dove into patch of tall grass all four legs extended and just laid there. The grass was a :)little wet from the rain the night before and probably felt very cool to her. She would not move for about 5 minutes just looking up at me as if to say "man its hot I'm just going to lay here, pick me up on your way back"!

  • lol JONNY does that too. He is a tri. He gets even hotter than us with his black coat. He usually does this under a shade tree. And he does NOT move until he is good and ready. So I just take a time out too. It is sooooo funny.

  • Lucy (6 year old r/w female) did that today!! Would not move till she had cooled off. VA is very hot & humid this Summer. Come on Fall!!

  • :D pity you didn't get a pic

Suggested Topics

  • Is she a Basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    16
    2 Votes
    16 Posts
    12k Views
    J
    @melduff I for one think this is FANTASTIC news! You guys are so lucky! You have a one of kind super dog with the papers to prove it. Walks around the neighborhood and trips to the dog park are going to be very much fun... Friendly neighbor: Oh, she's so cute! What kind of dog is she? You: Thanks you so much. Why, she's a Staffy Chow Lab Rott Russell Husky. (Ya haff ta memorize that) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :thumbs_up: Thanks a bunch for letting us know. Very much enjoyed your thread.
  • basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    ZandeZ
    Last I heard, the Breed Club secretaries had more people waiting or wanting pups than were available . You could get on a list for a Basenji next winter but I very much doubt you will find one still unsold. Go to the website of the BCGB, or the Northern Basenji Society as you are in the North and you will find email addresses of the secretaries. They will put you in touch with breeders who may be planning a litter for puppies to become ready to leave the nest in about a year's time. Its a long wait I know, but you have most probably missed the boat for now. You are welcome to post me privately. Good luck!
  • Basenji or...not?

    Basenji Talk
    26
    1 Votes
    26 Posts
    26k Views
    HeidiAceH
    @debradownsouth Thanks you so much. We'll give it a try.
  • My Basenji has HOT SPOTS is it really a food allergy?

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    YodelMaY
    My youngster was losing his fur in patches last winter, I was convinced it was food allergies. My vet said it was likely a contact allergy. Sure enough,homemade organic food didn't help. Since I don't use any chemical household products (no cleaners, rug or room deoderizers, scented candles etc) I was mystified. You need to become a detective to find the problem. In Sunny's case, the problem was a dust allergy: I moved his crate close to a heat vent so he wouldn't be cold! As soon as I moved his crate away from the vent his fur started to grow back. I moved to a house with wood heat this summer and he's been fine this winter.
  • A basenji

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    21k Views
    Chealsie508C
    There's nothing like a basenji in the works, from the way they instinctively lay with their had on the bum looking the other way ( I've never met a B that doesn't) to the way you KNOW they all rub on wet towels or play bow…it's all very endearing and in this breed you often identify traits that they all have, an insight into their genetics and their behaviors. I've never enjoyed a breed so much.
  • Is this a basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    37
    0 Votes
    37 Posts
    26k Views
    DukeD
    @phoenix3: Looks like a B to me but i think more of a B mix he looks like he has corse hair Maybe be has the size of a cattledog body and a basenji head :) My Aspen is a cattledog/ terrier mix he has the body of a cattledog {the colors} and the height and face of a terrier heres a pic so u can see the colors of the cattledog well one color anyways :D :D phoenix3 - this is Aspen? I'm so amazed at her spots, because my Daisy has spots like Aspens. We know her mother is pure R/W Basenji and she is thought her other half Beagle. One of her other litter mate moms thought Blue Healer (cattledog). But I subscribed to the Beagle. Daisy could be … Cattle Dog I suppose. She's bigger than Duke now at almost 9 months old. I will show her off soon on "Show Off" forum soon.