• Improvising for the afghan look??

I've got a bit more weight on her since the pics on the previous post taken last week. I have got SO sick of people telling me she's too fat or too thin… Im not listening anymore and getting her to the weight I think she looks best, which is a little bit heavier πŸ˜ƒ She has got a bit of a belly on her in this pic though as she had JUST stolen the pugs bowl of milk lol

Uncle Riley

Its a hard life for a "Pugenjidor Retriever"

Check out the grass stains!! πŸ˜ƒ

• You have a very nice pet family.
    Do the horses mind the dogs being around them?

• I love the first sugar cube pic, she so wants it, then on the third pic she looks like she's in a sugar trance πŸ˜ƒ

• @thunderbird8588:

I love the first sugar cube pic, she so wants it, then on the third pic she looks like she's in a sugar trance πŸ˜ƒ

She does!!! πŸ˜ƒ She loved the sugar lumps :rolleyes:

The horses dont mind the dogs at all, they love them. Both horses have pretty much been brought up with the dogs πŸ™‚ Im not sure Charlie appreciated Maya eating all of his sugar cubes though :rolleyes:

• I especially like the pictures of Maya relaxing in her chair!

I find that Basenji bitches (as opposed to the dogs) are much harder to get to a weight you like. I'm sure the advice you've been given is well meaning but as you say you should decide for yourself. I have seen more than a few young people give up showing their Basenjis just because contradictory advice has been so free, although well meaning.

• She looks so comfy in her chair doesnt she? πŸ˜ƒ

Everyone has been trying to be very helpful but its one thing to give advice when its asked for, but im just getting everyone telling me what I should and shouldnt be doing without me even asking πŸ˜ƒ I think she looks fab as she is right now with a tiny bit more weight on and I plan to keep her like that πŸ™‚ Its lovely that, as someone new to basenjis, people have been so keen to give me their help and advice, but when its coming from 10 different people, all different advice then it gets a bit overwhelming!!

• Jess, I don't think Maya has a problem with weight, either light or too heavy. She looks very good. As long as you know she is eating wel, is healthy and is exercising, don't be too concerned. I realize their IS a standard for the basenji, but they are living beings that can't always match up to a picture in a book.

• First Basenji's

@Maya:

Everyone has been trying to be very helpful but its one thing to give advice when its asked for, but im just getting everyone telling me what I should and shouldnt be doing without me even asking πŸ˜ƒ

Seems to happen often amongst dog owners in general. I've known entire dog forums/online communities shut down due to kerfluffles over unsolicited advice!

Maya has always looked lovely to me.

• In the first pics with the sugar lumps/stick I thought she was a bit thin so have just got her a bit better covered but not fat of course. I think she looks better for it. She only has a small frame, she's certainly not a chunky basenji! So she shouldnt be carrying too much weight πŸ˜ƒ

• @Kipawa:

Jess, I don't think Maya has a problem with weight, either light or too heavy. She looks very good. As long as you know she is eating wel, is healthy and is exercising, don't be too concerned. I realize their IS a standard for the basenji, but they are living beings that can't always match up to a picture in a book.

She is a very, very good eater. She LOVES her food and its often more of a problem to keep her weight down as she will steal anything she can get hold of :rolleyes: Since having a basenji I have learned that they are worse thievess even than labradors!! :eek: I was defrosting a chicken last week and noticed it had disappeared from the kitchen worktop.. where do i find it? Outside with Maya and she'd eaten about half of it :rolleyes: She is a pig!!

I walk her for about 2 hours a day now, most of which is offlead running (we walk to the horses fields and back each evening so she spends a good hour running around the fields and woods and farmland!) so she has quite a lot of exercise compared to some im sure, but if she didnt have that she would be a little porker cos she eats a lot :p But at the same time, cos she has so much time running around burning calories I do need to make sure her food intake is high enough. She is definately the highest energy dog i've ever had :eek:

Suggested Topics