• @tanza:

I feed twice a day…. puppies (over 5 months) and adults. I think they do better with the meals split into two.

And for me, I change to regular adult food some place around 4 to 6 months depending on when I run out of the puppy food on hand.

Last year when Aaliyah was 6 mos I switched her feeding to 2 times a day (same as my 2 adults, Ruby & Brando) - 1.5 cups split between the 2 meals (some treats in between feedings) and put her on adult food at 1 year.

This year with my pup Ozzy, he's a pickier eater so he has been on adult Instinct since he arrived at my house (5 months old). I feed him twice a day (1 cup morning, 1 cup evening, and busy buddies with kibble in between) - seems like a lot, but he still could stand to gain a pound or 2.

Trying to develop good eating habits with a picky eater isn't easy - baby steppin' here. :rolleyes:

• For sure with that, developing good eating habits….. My OJ was a horrible eater.... until he was 4yrs old. He always looked like he could use a pound or two.... Some days he would eat, some he would not.... and on the days he didn't want to eat, food was taken away after 10 minutes until the next meal time..... So I hear you with "baby steps"....ggg

• Away from Basenjis but still relevant to the previous posts - my Karabas was an extremely picky eater and spent most of her first year on raw eggs! I didn't make an issue of it with her (although worried myself sick!!) and she eventually turned out as an excellent eater. She was the runt of the litter and not a show bitch but turned out beautifully - enough to get Best Bitch at Crufts (no tickets) and beaten very rarely in her classes at other shows.

• I am not going to worry abput it then. He gets twice day, when he is eating well he eats about 1/2 cup in morning with a little more at night and I will switch to adult once this one is over which will be about anohter month or month and ahalf,… Thanks for all the info and comments!!

• If he is a thin boy then I would hold off on switching to adult food. I have a couple that have essentially been on puppy food all their lives. There are some adult kibbles for "small breeds" or "performance" foods that are similar to puppy food so they are high in calories for dogs that need more calories.

• Thanks, right now he is eating eukanuba puppy small bites. Maybe I can get a type that has more calories. This one has very high protein.

• You could try mixing some raw or cooked meats into the food too. And oils are great for increasing weight and overall condition, i give them to all of mine (including the horses!) in their food, just a bit of olive oil 🙂

Maya has never been a fussy eater thankfully, she is a stomach on legs!! But my pug Delilah had a terrible appetite til she was about 2 years old. The breeder kept saying that if she didnt eat after an hour take the bowl away, she wont starve etc etc etc. But after two days of her not eating a thing i gave in and hand fed her some bits of chicken! It was a nightmare getting weight on her, but suddenly overnight one day she just decided that she loved food and now has a fantastic appetite!! Its very weird…!

• He's VERY handsome. You should be proud of the little pup! How's life with him?

• Thanks, I am proud. Life with him is very interesting.. I had a Great Dane for the past ten years, he recently passed away, and have to say, Living with Ayo, is completely different!! Basenji's are truly unique. Its challenging sometimes but once we both got the hang of each other its been great. He keeps the house clean, because I cant leave anything lying around and he keeps me " calm and assertive" to quote Cesar Millan,because the minute I get irritated he lets me know.. Honestly, I think I want to get another one!!!

• I will try with the olive oil…

Suggested Topics