Good Breeders vs Bad Breeders

• I got to spend a weekend in March with Beverly Bland and some of her Avongaras. The best word to describe them was diverse. Even though they were all related in some way or fashion there was a real diversity of traits. None of them were "ugly", though some were more close to what we see in the show ring than others. I was really impressed with their agility and eagerness to please Bev. Each dog had conformation traits that I liked and each had faults like any other dog. So I do not think that being African = ugly and I do not think that it should be used as an excuse for ignoring Basenji type in breeding. Health and Temperament are important but breeding for that to the exclusion of type is not responsible breeding, IMO, because it is that type that makes a basenji a basenji.

Lisa

• I think the wonderful thing is that we care for these dogs, be they show, pet or doing agility.
    I didn't take any issue with what those folks said.
    I know they were coming from a different angle than me.
    Besides, I got to take that sweet girl home and love her…they didn't!
    Laugh.

• Speaking of Africans, I got to visit Susan Patterson of Calypso Basenjis. I was lucky to meet her Benin girl Avuvi Afonhaan "Honey" She was such a sweetie!

for more info on Honey, go to this link: http://www.calypsobasenjis.com/african_import.htm#.htm

It's really educational! 🙂
    attachment_p_345_0_honey_head.jpg

• Oh my gosh! What a face that little girl has! And the shot of her coming over the fence was just too much!
    Beautiful!

• <>
    Hi Susan,
    IMO, basenjis don't look that different from than their early ancestors, or their relatives in Africa right now. There are some in Africa that look like they could have come right out of a domestic bloodline litter, and their are ones in domestic litters that look like they are straight out of Africa. I agree that historically western breeders have selected for a few traits that aren't found in Africa, mainly curlier tails, smaller ears, and color (of course)...but overall, I think the dogs look remarkably similar.

• @Quercus:

<>
    Hi Susan,
    IMO, basenjis don't look that different from than their early ancestors, or their relatives in Africa right now. There are some in Africa that look like they could have come right out of a domestic bloodline litter, and their are ones in domestic litters that look like they are straight out of Africa. I agree that historically western breeders have selected for a few traits that aren't found in Africa, mainly curlier tails, smaller ears, and color (of course)...but overall, I think the dogs look remarkably similar.

**Some would agree and some wouldn't. Our Sarah looked very similar to some of the early Africans I've seen photos of. She was pretty big, big boned and long backed, but she had a very curly tail. Sarah was a 'coarser' looking dog. She might have survived in the wild, but not for long. IPSID got her.
    What's interesting is defining what is "Basenji" in Africa. I know of some people who believe that, e.g. the Benin dogs aren't Basenjis. I've been having this discussion with a friend.
    Dogs were interbred with others, some feel that jackals were/are included, so "pure" is questionable. What defines "pure"?
    For awhile I'd heard that some of the recent French Basenjis were bred so short backed that they couldn't move properly.:( And like many current show dogs, I wonder how functional our dogs are. I love breeders whose dogs are competent in other areas besides conformation.
    We've only owned 5 B's, but each was/is very different. They are truly exquisite. So are my Poodles and my Rhodesian.
    Ah....dogs.:)
    s.

• Not polished ???
    Sorry, but that is one of the silliest things that I have heard in ages.

I have seen dogs that are uglier than sin.. in the show ring no less!
    People that can't breed a decent looking domestic basenji aren't going to be able to breed a decent looking African basenji!

Go check out my website (link is in profile)… go to Available Puppies and then click on Available African Puppies...
    scroll to the bottom of the page to link to "Singer"s page...
    then see her full Af babies at the bottom....
    How is that for a bunch of African beauties???

Kathy

• @khanis:

Not polished ???
    Sorry, but that is one of the silliest things that I have heard in ages.

**I'm sorry; to what is this referring? 😕

I have seen dogs that are uglier than sin.. in the show ring no less!
    People that can't breed a decent looking domestic basenji aren't going to be able to breed a decent looking African basenji!

**Uglier than sin? Really?
    I really prefer health and temperament and function as breeding goals. IMHO.

How is that for a bunch of African beauties???

**Your dogs are quite lovely.
    So are my two Jasiri-Sukari B's. But neither would win in a show.
    We think they're beautiful, too. And they both have sweet temperaments. Lucky us. 🙂

s.

Suggested Topics