• Hi everyone! I'm Michelle. You can call me Shelby (family nickname). I have joined this forum in search of learning more about the basenji. My fiance and I are looking for a puppy to join our little family. We have fallen in love with the basenji and would love to learn from real basenji owners so we will know what it's like to live with one before we begin our search for our beloved doggie. I can't wait to hear your advice and stories…and see some adorable photos! I do love the doggie photos! 🙂

• Welcome to the forum Shelby and fiance!

• Welcome… there is a wealth of information here. I highly suggest that you visit www.basenji.org and read "Is a Basenji right for me" www.basenji.org/learn and also the link on how to find a responsible breeder. Knowing about the health concerns in the breed will make you a better educated potential puppy buyer too.

• Welcome, you will learn a lot here.. you can go to www.basenjirescue.org
    and see what type of b's are in rescue. We just picked up a lot of dogs/puppies in Fl who will be transported out of the area, for homes…They are not posted yet...
    Also, on this site is a reality stories..not all b's do this but some b's do this...so you should read up so you can be prepared to make sure those issues don't happen to you!

• Welcome! Yeah, another Mississippian. I live in WI now but I'm originally from Forest, MS. Trust me, they'll like the weather better down there than up here…except for the rain. 🙂

• Regarding weather, I really think that California B's have the worst time with rain… since for 6 to 8 months of the year there is no rain... when rainy season starts in the winter it is a "battle" of wills to get them to remember they really can go outside to potty and it doesn't require the "human" to get soaked with them... ggg

That said the rest of the time is something out of a fairytale for them...ggg

• @tanza:

Regarding weather, I really think that California B's have the worst time with rain… since for 6 to 8 months of the year there is no rain... when rainy season starts in the winter it is a "battle" of wills to get them to remember they really can go outside to potty and it doesn't require the "human" to get soaked with them... ggg

That said the rest of the time is something out of a fairytale for them...ggg

Nobody has told Buddy that Basenjis don't like the wet. We went for a walk in the rain this morning and I'm the one that wanted to go back.:D He wanted to keep going. The other day after a three hour down pour he runs through soggy wet 12" high grass looking for mice.

• :DWelcome! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and it is wise to learn about these dogs! They are very smart! My cat finds our new b puppy very intriguing and has learned to watch out for her own tail! Puppy likes kittys toys and is fascinated with everything in her environment. I think they are a great breed if you are active and want more excitement than a human baby! I think I have lost some weight and it has only been since Saturday! No regrets here! We love adventure and have a huge, twisted sense of humor! By the way, they don't bark, but they are not necessarily quiet by any means! Ours talks a lot!

Maria

• First Basenji's

Welcome to the forum!!

• Welcome to the forum!

• hi ShelbyJ - I am similar to your story as well. I am looking to purchase a basenji in the future, and I'm finding this group to be a wealth of information. Welcome!

• Welcome from the UK.

Enjoy the Forum. You'll find plenty of good advice here

• Thanks everyone! 🙂

Suggested Topics