• I was told by my breeder not to vaccinate for Lepto, because Basenjis cannot have Lepto shots. The 5 way shot she gives them is all they need.
    My vet today told me thats not true, is that a common vaccine for a house dog or not. I dont trust any vet, I go cause I'm force to.

• @Rev:

I was told by my breeder not to vaccinate for Lepto, because Basenjis cannot have Lepto shots. The 5 way shot she gives them is all they need.
    My vet today told me thats not true, is that a common vaccine for a house dog or not. I dont trust any vet, I go cause I'm force to.

It is typically NOT needed and your Vet CAN get a vaccine without Lepto. Many dogs, not only Basenjis have bad reactions to Lepto.

I have not given my Basenjis Lepto for over 15yrs. And my one puppy buyer had the same experience you are having with your Vet and the Vet gave it anyway… within 30 minutes they were back at the emerency clinic. Where are you located? Maybe there are others here on the Forum that might be able to give you Vet Clinic recommendations for a better experience

• I,m not looking for a better experience I was just wandering if Basenjis will die from Lepto like the breeder said or the vet is wrong!
    The 5 way shot we give him does not have it in it, the vet said a dog could get lepto just by sniffing urine from racoons or skunks! And he should be vaccinated I told himm I would pass on it!

• The lepto vaccine can kill dogs who react badly to it, especially if their owners are unable to get them to a vet clinic quickly enough. My eldest boy had a full sibling who very nearly died from a lepto vaccine.

Lepto is transmitted through urine of infected animals but it is important to know if the serovars in the vaccine are the serovars being found in your area. Where I live the vaccine gives zero protection against the lepto serovars in the area so there is no reason to give it. Also, the lepto vaccine is not effective for a full year. So if vaccinating once a year, the dog will have a gap in protection.

Here is a good article about Lepto in dogs and current thoughts on vaccinating, http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1556&aid=454

• Thank you so much for the info it was very informative.
    REV

• All my adult dogs get vaccines with Lepto in it…. so every year we give vaccines and have never had any reaction to one of these vaccines.

The "puppy shots" do not have lepto in it, as you don't give it to them until they are at least 5 months of age [so I have read and alwasy been told].

If you don't agree with your vet or hvae the same beliefs, then you may want to find another, but research first [call around] and see what their protocols are before spending your money for an office call.

• @khanis:

If you don't agree with your vet or hvae the same beliefs, then you may want to find another, but research first [call around] and see what their protocols are before spending your money for an office call.

+1

The previous vet I went to never advised against any vaccinations, they just gave them and really didn't speak much of them.

The current vet we goto specifically mentioned that Lepto was probably not needed, especially if Kananga was mostly an indoor dog (meaning I do not take him on hunting trips or leave him outside on his own for extended periods of time). I was glad that someone explained the vaccination thoroughly and left the choice up to me.

With that said, I passed on the Lepto and will continue to do so.

• I havec heard it advised for dogs that have LOTS of socialization… dog parks, dog shows, that kind of thing.

Having a vet that will work with you is very important... they aren't all easy to deal with and some just don't like basenjis. Good luck with the new vet.

Suggested Topics