Skip to content

New way of saying Goodbye

Basenji Talk
  • My B does the same thing. No greeting upon my arrival home, but when I leave it's him nipping (playful of course) at my leg, trying to grab on to me with his paws, etc.

    When I get home, it's almost like he's just staring at me from the couch saying "Yea…. I got over it..... the couch stuffing made me forget about your departure".

  • Everyday I leave, Buddy get's little pieces of chicken breast treat piled on a paper towel and he so excited. I put it down and scoot out the door asap. He knows when it's getting close to when I have to leave and he follows me around the house "when are you gonna leave so I can get my treats"!

  • Hansel sits at the stairs so he can go to kennel and get a treat. He just sits there patiently watching, waiting, sighing, "COME ON MOMMA< LETS GET A TREAT!"

  • Nobarkus, I can't just set the treat down and scoot. I have to stand at the door, throw it and run. We call treats yummies at our house.

  • In my house Sonny will no longer take a treat from me because he thinks its a sign I'm leaving the house..He turns his head at me & starts to whine!!! I no longer even offer him a treat when I leave the house but so far he will only eat the treat if I leave it on the floor and he waits for me to be sitting on the couch before he'll touch it…MY CRAZY BASENJI!!

  • @sonnyboy:

    he will only eat the treat if I leave it on the floor and he waits for me to be sitting on the couch before he'll touch it…MY CRAZY BASENJI!!

    My B is sort of like that also. He won't take a treat from my hand, I have to leave it on the ground for him to inspect thoroughly and then he'll eat it.

  • My boy is 8 yrs old and I guess there are days he doesn't want me to leave for work. As I am going down the stairs to the garage he will stick his head through the rails and nip the sleeve of my coat. Kinda like hey where are you going? He doesn't do it every day. I would say 1 day out of 5.

  • Otis has the same little quirks..he won't come in from outside should I call him in, in his mind that means " oh shoot, I am about to get crated", even though that is far from the truth..not even treats will bring him in, he rather sit out there in 30 or so degrees shaking his butt off, than to trust that he is not getting crated..crazy..

  • @Basenjimamma:

    Otis has teh same little quirks..he won't come in from outside should I call him in,, in his mind that means " oh shoot, I am about to get crated", even though that is far from the truth..not even treats will bring him in, he rather sit out there in 30 or so degrees shaking his butt off, then to trust that is not getting crated..crazy..

    Heh, I find it funny Kananga is so excited to go outside when put his leash/collar on. I always say to him "Now, are you absoloutely sure -10 degrees will be that exciting?".

    As soon as that subzero wind hits his face, he goes from happy to "let me do my business and let's get out of here!".

  • that's funny….sonny does a happy dance when I pick up his coat to go for our 6am walk in the morning. I'm sure not happy about it at that hour!:D

  • @sonnyboy:

    that's funny….sonny does a happy dance when I pick up his coat to go for our 6am walk in the morning. I'm sure not happy about it at that hour!:D

    I take Buddy at 4:30am. That should make you happy now. :D

Suggested Topics

  • New Basenji!!

    Basenji Talk
    19
    3 Votes
    19 Posts
    17k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @rugosa LOL on the pig ear. But it's not just a basenji trait. One night it was storming and one of my rotts was fixated on one of the bedroom windows. I looked, there was a toad on the screen! The dog was so intense about wanting to get to it, my daughter went out in the rain and moved it from the window. From then until she died, day or night, I had to let her in the bedroom when it stormed to make sure the once-in-a-lifetime visitor wasn't there. They think more than many people give them credit for.
  • Getting a new dog

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    10k Views
    eeeefarmE
    Her face looks Basenji, maybe not the muzzle however. Are they destructive? Can be, don't have to be. I don't like to crate and I never have, beyond the initial puppy stage or with a rescue until I can get a handle on what to expect. I do restrict access to areas of the house that might be vulnerable until I am sure of the dog. Not all can be trusted to have free rein. Be consistent in what you expect or will tolerate, and be very watchful until you understand what behaviour is "normal" for your new dog. Are they really that active? I would say no. She is likely excited to be in a new place and curious about everything. She should settle down. Of course, with a rescue there may well be reasons someone gave up on her, and it's not always immediately apparent if a dog has problems. Hopefully she will fit in well with your family. Invisible fence......likely not a good choice for a Basenji, particularly if there are coyotes in your area. You need to protect her. Coyotes will go after a small dog, and sometimes even a not so small one. I know someone who lost a Jack Russell when he was lured by coyotes and then attacked once he was beyond his master's protection.....and Jack Russells are tough little dogs! However, invisible fence can be useful to back up a physical fence if your dog turns out to be an escape artist. Regarding landscaping.....there are some deer fences that blend well and become almost invisible. Perhaps combined with invisible fence that might be a good option. Otherwise, walks or biking your dog should help, and definitely challenge her mentally. Basenjis are clever and I believe they enjoy learning. I taught my boy to retrieve objects by name.....it was fun for both of us. Good luck with her.
  • New basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    11k Views
    G
    And I think that clicker training is the BEST way to train a Basenji. -Joanne
  • New pictures

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    ?
    What a sweetie. Jolanda and Kaiser
  • A new playmate

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    wizardW
    Congrats on being a rescue home! They are both very beautiful and i just love her head spot.
  • New Coats!!!

    Basenji Talk
    30
    0 Votes
    30 Posts
    17k Views
    snorky998S
    @BDawg: Snorky998– Where are the pics?! Boy, this is a little late…. Hope I got it right.....the first pics of Kate and Ty in their new coats from Carrie [image: attachment_p_65353_0_im002892.jpg]