Basenji on Craigs List - Portland OR

• He may have had some bad experiences defending himself when he was in that backyard situation. My first Basenji was first given to a family with very young kids and they tried putting her in the toilet. Let me tell you that dog was perfect except if a kid came in the house that was 2-3 feet tall. She would snarl warning the kid and if the kid got to close she would bite. I had a few kids experience that bite and got red spots on their cheeks. She wouldn't cause the skin to break but it would smart. There was no fixing it.

• It is really sad to see what lack of socialization can do to a dog. 8 months alone out in a backyard. Can you imagine how scary the world must be to him?

It takes a very special person to work with these dogs, and some of them can't even be brought around by that.

If he doesn't find the right home, that will help him navigate a world full of demons, the kindest thing would be for one of the fosters, who probably really do love him, to put him down and be there to set him free from those demons.

• For some of these dogs it isn't one thing, it is the whole deck was stacked against them. This boy most likely came from a puppy mill or BYB where he may not have had the best genetic start and then couple that with with a poor upbringing lacking in proper socialization, sold to whomever had the money and further deprived of socialization, he may have zero coping skills.

Rescue organizations have to think in terms of helping as many as they can. There will always dogs needing homes as long as there are irresponsible owners. An individual may be able to work with a dog like this one and rehab it but for a rescue group to do so they divert resources that could help many dogs and jeopardize their ability to help any dog if they take on a dog like this.

• Be nice if they could get him into a place like Best Friends in Utah.

• The CL post didn't say anything about BRAT having already been involved or enough of the history. It's a little more clear now. I agree, one month doesn't seem long enough to rehab him. I hope he has a future…but it's not looking good.

For the record, I wasn't passing judgment on BRAT. I was just confused by the apparent lack of interest because of how the CL post was worded.

• Okay, I have one of those Basenjis that was living in a backyard for almost a year with no socialization - she is also from the horrible breeder in AR. Ivoss made reference to the fact my B's parents were F carriers. In one year, a visit to ER and 15 stitches in my leg, and days when I thought she was a demon, Bailey has become a lovely dog. I couldn't ask for a sweeter Basenji. It takes time.

Anyone heading this way from California? I would take the Basenji in a moment.

A dog like the one on Craigslist can be helped, but the B can't be shuffled around from home to home.

• Vicki,
    If you want this dog email me right away at bennyburnerbono at aol dot com.

• @Vicki:

Okay, I have one of those Basenjis that was living in a backyard for almost a year with no socialization - she is also from the horrible breeder in AR. Ivoss made reference to the fact my B's parents were F carriers. In one year, a visit to ER and 15 stitches in my leg, and days when I thought she was a demon, Bailey has become a lovely dog. I couldn't ask for a sweeter Basenji. It takes time.

Anyone heading this way from California? I would take the Basenji in a moment.

A dog like the one on Craigslist can be helped, but the B can't be shuffled around from home to home.

Vicki,

I hope you get him. You are one of those amazing, special people.

-Nicole

• Vicki have you got this baby yet??????

Rita Jean

• Rita, he isn't here. The boy lives on the West Coast - I would give it my all if he can be transported this far.

Suggested Topics