Looking for a cool, fun name …

• Petra were is your Halloween spirit tell the kids come on have some fun.

Rita Jean

• OK - been off the forum for a bit dealing with mom issues, work and oh - getting a certain Podengo ready to go to Texas.

Couple of things - Pat F - that website is of the 'other'. If anyone is familiar with new breed clubs - you will be familiar with the painful process it can be.

That club was formed several years ago - and submitted the breed incorrectly to FSS. They thought that the AKC would make an exception and allow the breed to come in as 'varities' (which AKC has not done for 50 years) Which would put 6 breeds in the hound group. So they decided it was one breed and one standard that covers a size that is 8-12 inches and 16-22/22-28. AKC says if it's one breed you breed them together and can't imagine that happening - and they also say how you examine the first is how you examine all of them so as a judge you would crawl on your belly to examine an 8 in dog on the ground or get a ladder for the 28 inch dog on the table. This breed would be in the Hound group already if they had not messed that up and stopped people from bringing in the bigger sizes.

March of 2008 - a couple of us started 2 breed clubs that seperated the sizes and organized in a manner that 'fit' AKC requirements and started the work to split the breed. That happened in July. We have held 2 specialty shows under AKC rules with AKC judges.

None of the clubs are the Parent Club as of yet.

So don't mix us up 🙂

www.podengo-mediogrande.com
    www.podengo-pequeno.com

And I do appreciate those of you that joined either or both clubs to help us get to the 100 interested households that is part of our AKC requirements.

Weather has been too crummy to take any new pics of "Edgar" but thought I would tell you a bit about why the names - As many of you know - with basenjis lots of folks like African sounding names with lots of consonants - I've never been a fan of the unprouncable and for me the unspellable. Portugese names - lots of folks use them but this was a FIRST - the FIRST litter out of the FIRST Grande Smooth imported so I started with a FIRST theme. What I was looking for was First, Significant, important historically clearly American names. So there is Libby Riddle (first women to win the Iditarod) Anne Edson Taylor (first woman to go over Niagra Falls in a Barrel) Vin Fiz Flyer who is called Fiz (also in Texas) named for the first plane to make it accross the US (took 49 days) I have dogs named for Explorers (M. Lewis and Billy Clark) Presidents - JQAdams (Quincy) and Sammy Adams. (My daugher insisted the one that lives with her be named Chewbacca - so who knows how I justify that first but she does take care of my dogs when I"m not around so - Chewbacca it is) and Red Adair (the put out the oil well fires guy. Edgar - my daugher named and I added the allen poe - I'm really enjoying peoples ideas. and whatever name that 'sticks' I'm sure will be a good one. (I'll just always call him Edgar so get used to that.

It was that or there would be bad puns - cause that is one of my other favorite things to do when naming a dog - Like Jacque Chewztoes, or Budswizer.

• Ohhh! I got it:

Julius Fast
    (the first author to win the EAPoe award for best first novels) -
    can't get any more First's than that. (And "Fast" is kinda a cool name for a sighthound. And FAST is DH's sideline business, but that doesn't count for much, but it is basenji related http://www.falconagility.com/ )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edgar_Allan_Poe_Award_for_Best_First_Novel_winners

Or
    Tamerlane as in Tamerlane and Other Poems - EAP's first published book
    http://www.poestories.com/timeline.php

• Houston

Thanks for all that info Diane..
    Edgar is still sticking in the kids and my mind, my hubby, not so sure yet..but it is at the top..
    Yes, you can/will definitely call him Edgar, I would like that 🙂
    I like Fast, agileB, maybe Fast Eddie..

• There is a "Fast Eddie" in some books that I love so much I read them over and over. They are Science Fiction works by Spider Robinson (probably no one here has ever read them but me, I'm such a geek.) If I was breeding I'd name all my dogs for characters in his books! That'd be so cool.

• ARGH - I went to college in Northern MN with a guy from NJ whose nickname was 'Fast Eddy'. He was an 'interesting' character who I think holds a record up there for the most years to complete an undergraduate degree (12).

SO - use that name and hopes of any companion titles might take a LONG time!!!! LOL

• Houston

Oooh, that wouldn't be good..Fast Eddie is out, Ventura (hubby) didn't care for it much anyway..

• Why not just leave the dogs name as Edgar, and call the dog the name its familiar with? After all its been called Egar since birth at Dmarty's. Unless I am making a wrong assumption about this dog's call name, then what is the real reasoning behind changing it?

Lets see, new home, new state, new family, and now a new name. It seems like a change at once for this dog. Why not let the dog have some comfort level and at least retain its name.

Jason

• Houston

Well, being that it is a name that for the children were harder to say (now we have worked on it and it comes easier), we had the thought of changing his name..

Otis was Jack Spade, when he moved to us at the "old" age of 4 months, from a different family (the "breeder'), from a different state, and clearly a different home..he has been pretty good about his behaviours, nothing out of what seems to be the ordinary for the breed..

Either way, Edgar's behaviour, good of bad will have nothing to do with a potential name change, in my opinion.

• Diana, I happen to like the name Chewbacca sounds strong. I also like the fact just in case something got chewed on and you said Chew he might just think that's right just my nickname. LOL.

How many babies do you have now? Do you think you will have a babies again?

Rita Jean

• We need more genetic diversity so my next move will likely be to import anther female with different lines.

• And for those worried that he won't come to his new name - well like basenjis - coming when called is not always a certain thing - these guys however I very very food motivated so it takes them seconds to figure it out.

Heck when I got Hanna - she didn't speak English and didn't respond to my Portuguese - so I used to say she ignored me in 2 languages.

• Why would you say you need more genetic diversity? New names my 2 legged kids don't come to there names sometimes but my son is food motivated.

Diana I have to ask do you really know Portugese or was it made up words?

Rita Jean

• Houston

Edgar will be very loved and well taken care of in our home, I doubt very seriously he would not take to us and our home, potential names and all.
    He is a pup and they are very malleable, so long as they feel safe and loved..again, IMO.

I have a friend that had a baby in august, she and her hubby, have yet to name that baby, they have 9 or so differnt names they are trying out, before they settle on one..Crazy, IMO, but it is just that an opinion.
    I haven't seen the baby yet, I want to have a name to googogaga to.

Diana, would you get your next Podengo from the same breeder, or a different one? Are there a lot of breeders for grandes in Portugal?

• I give all my puppies a name because I don't really like calling them puppy girl 1 or blue collar puppy. Talking to people and blogging about the puppies is much easier when you can say "Fudge opened his eyes today." I don't expect that the new owners will keep the names when they go to their new homes. Their puppy names are often whatever pops into my head about them when they fat squishy blobs. Fudge, Coal, Heart, Streak, Chili, and Pepper were baby names for the two litters born here. Sophie had her name before she was born and being the only girl in her litter she was obviously Sophie from the start. Fudge became Ramses, Coal became Cole, Heart is still Heart, Streak is now Rio, Chili is Zeke, and Pepper is Ringo. None of them seem to have any problem adjusting to their new names and new homes.

When I volunteered at the shelter we gave all the dogs names and most of them learned their names within a few quick training sessions and many got even newer names when they went to new homes. Dogs are so wonderfully adaptable and don't really mind what their name is as long as they know it means they are loved and wanted.

• I am the first gen born in the US and grew up speaking both languages - back then in schools the programs they had for those who didn't always speak English was to drag you out in the hallway and slap you until you spoke only English. Yes folks that was the 50's.

I do know some words but everyone that I had to speak Portuguese too is long gone. It must however be my pronunciation and rhythm as she responded far better to my mother a native speaker.

Re: Genetic diversity - right now at this moment there is 1 adult smooth male and 1 adult smooth female and 11 puppies in the US. 1 sister of my female in Canada. That is not enough diversity for a breeding program - I could just populate the states with dogs of the same breeding but doing the same thing over and over - does not advance the breed.

As we in the US have become more interested in the larger sizes - the Portuguese are doing more registration and are contacting us so yes there are some other lines available. The breeder of Hanna has a litter coming any day that is a different female and a different male that would be great to bring something here to add to what we have.

re: names - many years ago my kids commented that we paid more attention to the ones that had names so we have always 'named' them something - many stuck many didn't but they were all called something and sometimes more than one something.

• Diana your cool lady. I wish I had known you when you raised your B's. Thank you for answer on Genetic.

Rita Jean

• Chewbacca was in the original "first" Star Wars movie - so that is a "first" of sorts, right. 😉

• My daughter says - first Wookie in space.

• Ha ha ha. That works. 🙂

Suggested Topics