• Have just read this interesting thread.

I have owned Dobes for more years than I care to remember and a Basenji for 2 years.

It's fun watching how differently the 2 breeds go about things. Dobes are very people orientated and look to you for guidence etc, a senistive breed that many underestimate because they are deemed by some to be a fierce guarding breed. There are a few now competing in Sch in the UK, and successfully too. It is said that a GSD will go into a burning building without question, a Dobe will ask you why !!!!! lol :).

Now the Basenji on the other does things because he has deemed it in his best interest to do so !!!!! He doesn't look for you for support or guidence, I love their independant spirit.

I witnessed this the other day:- my oldest Dobe girl decided she wanted her vet bed to suck so she went into the kitchen to bring it out into the lounge. She had to get it tho the door, so she pulled it under the door ( there's a step there ) and got it stuck no matter how hard she pulled the door was closing on it good and fast. After alot of effort she give up, huffed and puffed a bit and flung herself on the sofa. All the the while Cooper the Basenji had been watching this with great interest. Obviously he had to have a go. So round the door he went and a saw the vet bed being pulled back from under the door, he then proceeded to drag it round the kitchen table, under the chair nearest the door and out tho the door with ease. Being the Gentleman he is lol !!!!! he placed it by the Dobe !!!!! then promptly went back from where he came and fell asleep.

Now that was clever !!!!!:)

• I always tell people these are 'thinking' dogs. They will think about something and evaluate it and figure it out and then attempt it. I'm sure I have told this story before, but when I first moved out to the country, Shadow, my oldest B, was out on a clothesline on a chain for a run. We didn't have a fenced area that first year. I told my (dumb, dumb, dumb) husband NOT to show him where the chickens were. (About 100 yards back, maybe more as I'm not a good judge of lenth, from the house in the barn) He decided it was a smart thing to do and proceeded to show Shadow where they were. It took Shadow two weeks to figure out how to get OFF the chain (no, it wasn't broke, he figured out how to unlatch it) and run the chickens down. Man, I yelled at my husband that day, he never did anything THAT stupid again. Shadow also knows how to open doors and cupboards, and now gates as well. Those little utensils they call paws are amazing!

• I always think intelligence depends on the individual dog and what each persons idea of intelligence is. Maya is very trainable and obedient which some people might think of as intelligent, but she is not sly or sneaky to get what she wants like some, and we tried one of those "intelligence test" activities for dogs at Crufts and she got bored after about 2 mins and moved on without working out how to get the treat! 😃

• I have had several basenjis who were thoughtful and very bright, and some who, while not dumb, don't seem to have that reasoning ability that others have had. Like us humans I guess. Our first basenji, Pete, clearly was a thinker. You could watch his eyes start to twinkle as he hatched a plan to 'la-de-da' through the house and zip up behind you for a nip of flank, then run off grinning.
    I do love a companion who challenges me…and boy have I had a bunch of them over the years.

Scoops, I love the description of your Basenji fetching the bed for your Dobe. They are not only smart, but are feeling, sensitive thinking beings. If they had opposable thumbs, we would all be in trouble.

• I love the fact when Kananga is running around my home, I try to challenge him by blocking every available path, and he will ALWAYS find an alternative route either the first or second try. It usually involves a 3ft+ jump, but it amazes me how quickly they can make decisions at high speeds last minute.

He always has a big grin on his face when he gets past me and is ready for another challenge. 😃

• @Benkura:

This is a great thread. I'm currently doing a home study dog course and for the last unit I have to do a 'special study'. As usual I've left it to the last minute and haven't actually done any study. (Got to be in by this Friday!!) :o
    What I had thought I would write about (needs to be approx 1500 words) was 'Why are some dogs labelled as more 'intelligent' than others?'

This was quite some time ago…how did the assignment go?

• Thanks MacPack

It is interesting watching the two breeds interact, it keeps me entertained. Who needs the T.V. when I've got the Baz-Manns lol !!!!!!

• I've got a "thinker too. If Abbey can't get what she wants right away or just take it by brute force she'll study the situation, formulate a plan, wait a suitable amount of time till she thinks I'm not looking, and then she'll carry out her plan. That requires some smarts.

• My basenji has me wonderfully trained, I come when he calls (trouble or to go outside), he keeps me off the phone, he steals my chair, he communicates with me telepathically. Has a nack of finding & destroying only the most dear items.

What other breed of dog uses mind control to control their humans?

The other day we were coming back for a walk, The dog stopped and looked up at me like he was trying to tell me something, my wife asks me "what did he say"? -without realizing what she said.

These dogs are too smart for their humans own good. They pretend like they are not listening or do not understand, but I have seen plenty to suggest otherwise.

I'm fully trained!

• They do have us trained. 😃

Suggested Topics