• I have had several basenjis who were thoughtful and very bright, and some who, while not dumb, don't seem to have that reasoning ability that others have had. Like us humans I guess. Our first basenji, Pete, clearly was a thinker. You could watch his eyes start to twinkle as he hatched a plan to 'la-de-da' through the house and zip up behind you for a nip of flank, then run off grinning.
    I do love a companion who challenges me…and boy have I had a bunch of them over the years.

Scoops, I love the description of your Basenji fetching the bed for your Dobe. They are not only smart, but are feeling, sensitive thinking beings. If they had opposable thumbs, we would all be in trouble.

• I love the fact when Kananga is running around my home, I try to challenge him by blocking every available path, and he will ALWAYS find an alternative route either the first or second try. It usually involves a 3ft+ jump, but it amazes me how quickly they can make decisions at high speeds last minute.

He always has a big grin on his face when he gets past me and is ready for another challenge. 😃

• @Benkura:

This is a great thread. I'm currently doing a home study dog course and for the last unit I have to do a 'special study'. As usual I've left it to the last minute and haven't actually done any study. (Got to be in by this Friday!!) :o
    What I had thought I would write about (needs to be approx 1500 words) was 'Why are some dogs labelled as more 'intelligent' than others?'

This was quite some time ago…how did the assignment go?

• Thanks MacPack

It is interesting watching the two breeds interact, it keeps me entertained. Who needs the T.V. when I've got the Baz-Manns lol !!!!!!

• I've got a "thinker too. If Abbey can't get what she wants right away or just take it by brute force she'll study the situation, formulate a plan, wait a suitable amount of time till she thinks I'm not looking, and then she'll carry out her plan. That requires some smarts.

• My basenji has me wonderfully trained, I come when he calls (trouble or to go outside), he keeps me off the phone, he steals my chair, he communicates with me telepathically. Has a nack of finding & destroying only the most dear items.

What other breed of dog uses mind control to control their humans?

The other day we were coming back for a walk, The dog stopped and looked up at me like he was trying to tell me something, my wife asks me "what did he say"? -without realizing what she said.

These dogs are too smart for their humans own good. They pretend like they are not listening or do not understand, but I have seen plenty to suggest otherwise.

I'm fully trained!

• They do have us trained. 😃

Suggested Topics