• But current residents of California who go out of state to purchase an animal they know is not legal in the state and then cross state lines with that animal are knowingly breaking the law. It is not the same as someone who owned an animal in the state and then a law was passed making ownership illegal.

• accidental introductions of certain animals can truly upset the balance of wildlife - look at the problems escaped mink have caused to scottish birdlife.

Have to say i dont really agree with the keeping of hedgehogs as pets (sorry Jess) they are wild animals, being kept as pets and keeping them warm to prevent their natural state of hibernation in winter doesnt seem right to me. I know a few folk who kept injured ones to nurse back to health, but they were then released to go wandering in their usual way.

• Sidney is not a "normal" hedgehog, he's not one you'd find in the wild 😃 They were bred as pets in the US (i believe), much like our basenjis (and all other dogs) descended from wild dogs and were domesticated to be kept as pets, the same has been done with the hedgehogs. They would not survive hibernation as they are not the wild hedgehogs you see in the fields and woods that are designed to hibernate, but if they are not kept warm they will do that as a way to survive.

I used to keep reptiles and i see it as no different to that. If you do not keep a snake or lizard warm it will die, the same applies to the hedgehog 🙂 Doesnt mean its wrong to keep them… In my opinion anyway.

• will just agree to differ on that then Jess - at least we agree on Basenjis!

how is maya doing now - has she fully recovered?

• @AJs:

I have been placed several times into the position of having something that was illegal simply because while I had acquired an object legally, a law was subsequently passed making that object a crime to own.

I believe in 4th Amendment guarantee to security in my property, house, person and effects from unreasonable search and seizure as well as 5th Amendment protection against deprivation of life, liberty and property without due process. If what I own does not injure anyone else and I acquired it legally, I don't believe it is anyone's business what I have. Further, I believe that simply passing a law against something because the majority of people voting on it don't like it does not constitute due process, especially if I previously acquired that item legally.

Sheesh! When are people in this country going to learn to mind their own business!

Well said, AJs Human! Especially when it comes to simple things like owning animals that are not dangerous, not endangered, do not hurt anyone, do not make noise to irritate the neighbors, etc! If it's a tiger or an elephant, I'd understand… but a pygmy hedgehog or a fish? And if I can drive to another state to legally buy it and I keep it on my own personal property and take good care of it, why should anyone care?

Cheers to you!!

Suggested Topics