• k thks i'll try that!!.

• hay there can you guys try and find out what kinds and how much it coast on a mothly basis for the fanconi med's i couldnt get on the yahoo site!. i have to go to the pet shop tomarrow afternoon. and i need to try and get this information so i can get them to pay for it!!. i'm still trying to find out what meds and prices a month for him!!.

• The sodium bicarb, which is the most critical, runs about $12 - $15 per 1000 tablets. I used Doc Roy's Daily Care Extra Vitamins from Revival Animal Health as my kids didn't like the Pet Tab Plus. They were $21.95 for 180 tabs. For the Pet Cal, you can use Dicalcium Phosphate powder instead- a 5 lb container lasts forever… The Centrum Silver - just see what your local WalMart or Target sells it for. Probably the most expensive item is the Amino Fuel. Not sure what it's running now, you can check at GNC or other place that carries health foods.

Contact Cheryl Silver to see about joining the Yahoo group - I will send you her e-mail address in a private message.

Terry
    Terry

• hi terry how can we do a private conversation?.

• terri where would i get the sodium bicarb,pet cal dicalcuim phosphate, and the amino fuel stuff!!.

• terri how much does it cost you a month for medication !? could you please talk to her and find out for me , i have to go to my daughters basket ball game for and with the handycap kids!!. ya, she's handycap with c.p and leg perthes!!. it would help me alot to know the monthly coast of meds for this before i go to the pet shop today to see if i get 1/2 or all my money back!!. i'll let you guys all know tonight about 8p.m.! thks.

• hi is there anyone that can tell me how much it coast a month for the medicine for a fanconi infected basenji!??.

• It varies from dog to dog depending on what its blood gas results are.

• Here is an article that estimates costs, http://basenjicompanions.org/health/fanconi/life.html

• Aren't the blood gasses the most expensive part of the expenses re to fanoni?

• If you use the estimates from the article the medication is about $60/month. Blood gases are $100 per test which is done every 6 months so that would be another 16.67 a month if you are saving up for it. Making the monthly costs around $76.67 provided you don't end up with something like a UTI which can easily add another $100-$200 for the month.

• @lvoss:

If you use the estimates from the article the medication is about $60/month. Blood gases are $100 per test which is done every 6 months so that would be another 16.67 a month if you are saving up for it. Making the monthly costs around $76.67 provided you don't end up with something like a UTI which can easily add another $100-$200 for the month.

I think that general blood work is a good thing to do also, at least every six months to see how the internal organs are doing (liver,kidneys, etc)

• how much would a ut test cost?

• is the blood gasses the same as a general blood work?.

• tanza would i have to do a urine test every month!??>

• General blood work is separate from blood gases and costs an additional $100. Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) costs between $100-$200 depending on the antibiotic costs. Fanconi dogs are prone to urinary tract infections due to the sugar in their urine. You may run frequent urinalysis but it would be due to the infections causes by the sugar in the urine not to test the urine for sugar.

• thks ivoss!. it will run me if he starts to show anythang, it will run me 1,366!!. FOR A YR!.

• sorry i made a mistake it's 1,958.00 A YR!. FOR ALL MEDICAL STUFF!!.

• Is your dog currently spilling glucose, is there currently glucose in the urine? If not, your dog will not develop Fanconi until later. The average age of diagnosis is 6-7 years old although some dogs develop it sooner and some later. You will not start treatment until there are symptoms, usually glucose in the urine. I verify the glucose in the urine by a urine test at the vet. You will then need to rule out Diabetes as dogs with Diabetes also have glucose in the urine. Your dog will need to have a blood glucose test and if that is within normal range, your dog has Fanconi, if it is high then your dog has Diabetes. If Fanconi, your dog will then need to have a blood gas test and a complete blood workup. Your dog will then go on the Fanconi Protocol and there is a chart on the Protocol that tells you how many bicarbonate pills your dog will need to take.

Here is the Protocol that you need to have and also give to your vet:

http://basenjicompanions.org/health/images/Protocol2003.html

Costs do vary around the country and some vets do not have the equipment to do a blood gas test. I am in SW OH and my vet does not charge that much for a blood gas test but when I lived in Houston all the tests cost more than in OH.

Some dogs have to take more pills and supplements then others. My Missy, who is 11 years old, takes a total of 17-18 pills a day, including thyroid which some dogs do not need, plus supplements that get added to her food. She takes 10 sodium bicarbs a day, 5 in the morning and 5 at night. She is doing great on the Protocol.

• hi he had the ofa.org fanconi test done and it came back at rick, i talked to john at the office there and he said he has it but isn't showing any signs yet!. but my question now is why wait till the simtoms start to show why not statr the treatments before they start to show! if they have been shown to have the fanconi!!.??

Suggested Topics