Skip to content

Orthopedic dog beds - thoughts?

Basenji Talk
  • Hi! I hope this is the right place for this thread! Our Deedle is still a spry gal, but she is getting on in years (she's 14), and she has some arthritis in her hips. I am thinking about getting her an orthopedic dog bed (one with memory foam) and am curious about people's thoughts and experiences.

    Thanks!

  • I imagine it would be very nice for an older dog. I would love a memory foam mattress for me!

  • What about memory foam on one of those heated pads that should make the hips better all warm. Soft so don't hurt hips and heat make it nice kind a extra.

    Rita Jean

  • @Rita:

    What about memory foam on one of those heated pads that should make the hips better all warm. Soft so don't hurt hips and heat make it nice kind a extra.

    Rita Jean

    the memory foam beds are pretty thick, i'm not sure the heat would go through from underneath. but they do make heated inserts for beds - that may work.

    and by all means, i'm sure your "pup" would enjoy it. some are like memory foam chips, i'm not sure how that would be. BUT if you want a nice thick foam bed (not memory foam) and your dog isn't distructive, you can go to the craft/fabric/upholstry store and buy some really thick foam. I've done this for an insert in a bed

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    A
    HAHA I have a different situation, my husband usually HOGS the bed and steals all my space and tries to share my pillow with me! I love it when my basenji sleeps in bed with us, because my husband stays in his spot! Is that silly?
  • 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    8k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    In your position, where you really have to take her out a lot, I understand. And I hope her comfort continues. My point was it is situational need, not dog need to be that social. :) I have a slim chance of that having worked with my current 2, but with my incredibly dog aggressive first one, I'd have been out in a basket muzzle and warning everyone to keep their dogs away.
  • Who is this dog?

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    BenkuraB
    I think I know!!! I think it's Dutch - Abotere's Zahir for Hicel. Oh dear, I speak to this dog at every show :o
  • If you could spare a thought…

    Basenji Talk
    28
    0 Votes
    28 Posts
    12k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Glad Hippo is more comfortable
  • Does your dog do this?

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    Rita JeanR
    Jaycee digs same way but she does somersaults head down over she gos first time neighbor saw it they could not beleive it. I think neighbor came over every day for a week waiting to see it again and Jaycee would do it. Yes I very much second that digging usually will cause the great B-500. Rita Jean
  • New Dog Bed

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    AmberedA
    hahaha jazzy is a bed hog! she looks sooooo peaceful. they have a great knack for finding the softest place to lay.