Skip to content

Major issues

Behavioral Issues

Suggested Topics

  • Puppy issues

    Behavioral Issues
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    A
    @nick4 I am in the "Basenji Zone" as well. I have done the putting her in the crate and then walking away while I talk to her and then letting her out and then back in again and I do the same thing where i will step out then come back in again. She does best when i leave her a good greenie for her teeth and I step out really quick she got used to it. Also I had the shower problem I even went as far as bringing her into the shower and to my surprise she did not care and i used it as a way to get her comfortable with the water....then i slowly gave her water from the shower talked to her while I was in there and peeked out the curtain every now and then and she got a lot calmer. I dont know if any this would help. Just wanted to share!
  • Sleeping Issues

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    krunzerK
    Yeah they do the whole 'omg my fur is all messed up' shake turn around 3 times then flop their furry butts down back in bed. I know about the super light sleeper thing. I too can wake up at the first sound of puking puppy and either throw a towel underneath them or try to get them to the bathroom in time so they can vomit in the sink. Once they get they get those ears going it's hard to stop!
  • Multiple issues with Basenji

    Behavioral Issues
    37
    0 Votes
    37 Posts
    29k Views
    M
    Yes, she eats in the crate and we put treats in there randomly throughout the day, as well as meat-stuffed bones chained to the inside (so she can't run off with the bone outside the crate.) She has the run of the downstairs while we are home and sleeps in her dog bed in our bedroom at night. On a side note, when we give her a really tasty stuffed bone or bullystick outside the crate she acts crazy! She runs around aimlessly with it in her mouth while howling. What is with that? It is comical, yet slightly annoying! :) I wonder what she'd do with a bullystick IN the crate?!
  • Smaller issues..

    Behavioral Issues
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    15k Views
    Rita JeanR
    That is just to funny having to chase the dog with underware and guests. At least you had something to talk about that night that was different. Rita Jean
  • Sleep issues

    Behavioral Issues
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    9k Views
    BookwormB
    We've been leaving the crate door open. The worst thing he has done is during the night, he goes to the other dog's pillow, plops down, and the other poor dog gives up and moves somewhere else. We haven't heard a peep out of either of them all night, so we can sleep. Only problem is stepping on them if you don't know where they are! Right now we have two visiting dogs for a month - big female yellow (clueless) lab and a big blonde retriever mix. Buster thinks he can go up and nip their necks and he growls and snaps at them. I know I've read about this type of behavior on the other discussion boards. The thing is, for the first few days, they were getting along and playing. Now, Buster is getting a little more aggressive. Is this just part of the Basenji charm?:confused:
  • Behavior or health issue?

    Behavioral Issues
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    12k Views
    tanzaT
    Hmm, didn't realize that she was just spayed, could be end result of surgery and healing… and in that case just a fluke... But keep and eye on it.. as sometimes when they are spay/neutered if the surgery is not done perfectly they have problems with peeing... and they are not able to control it on their own... for myself I have never had that problem with any of mine after spay/neutered, but I know of people that have.