• Thanks for the update Desmond, Lady is a beauty.

• My roommate and her Airedale mix came back on Friday, and Lady just about lost her damn mind. Unlike the snarking that happened between her and Yoshi, Lady and Lucy (the Airedale) fought with full teeth and murderous intent repeatedly. After a lot of attempts to keep them separated and/or distract them from how much they hate each other, my roommate and I decided that Lady should go into rescue, so we took her to Medfly Basenji Rescue. I'm certain she will find a great home and make someone a fantastic dog. Anyone in Southern California who wants a thoroughly lovely, trainable, affectionate, and non-destructive buddy (and doesn't have large-breed or female dogs) should definitely contact Karen.

I myself will probably be returning to Karen for a rescue friend that Lucy doesn't want to tear apart in the near future.

• That's too bad and I'm sorry to hear that. My rescue Ringo and the bw I had got into it the first day and there was some blood but ended up working it out. They became good Buddies over time.

• Yeah, it really wasn't happening. And the size difference (Lucy is twice the size of a basenji) meant that Lady was getting increasingly terrified and at risk. I hated to let her go, but I really think it's the best thing for her. I was really hoping that I could get some friends of mine to take her–and they still might--so that she and Yoshi can still have play-dates.

• @Varanus:

Yeah, it really wasn't happening. And the size difference (Lucy is twice the size of a basenji) meant that Lady was getting increasingly terrified and at risk. I hated to let her go, but I really think it's the best thing for her. I was really hoping that I could get some friends of mine to take her–and they still might--so that she and Yoshi can still have play-dates.

It was a very good effort you made so don't be too hard on yourself. Karen does a very good job of finding someone or she keeps them. I think Lady will be easy to place and you will find one that fits in with your situation.

• @nobarkus:

It was a very good effort you made so don't be too hard on yourself. Karen does a very good job of finding someone or she keeps them. I think Lady will be easy to place and you will find one that fits in with your situation.

She said that she had ideas of where to look for matches already, so I hope she gets somewhere quickly. I felt bad about giving Karen yet another dog to deal with, but it's better than having Lady traumatized or worse. The right basenji for my house will come around, I'm sure of it. Until then, I'll keep learning about them and raising Yoshi.

• Houston

Varanus, So sorry to hear that it didn't work out. You gave Lady a good start on her journey to find a forever home, and for that she is very greatful..I know.

• I am so sorry that it didn't work out. I'm sure she'll find a forever home…you gave her a great start...

• So very sorry things did not go well. Thank you for trying.

Rita Jean

• I'm just glad I had a place to send her where she'd be okay. Without a rescue available, I would have had to either pass on her entirely at the shelter or make Lady miserable with a 60-pound dog waiting to eat her every time she stepped out of the crate.

Everyone who can, please help out your local rescue, or at least just send them a thank-you email! I went to Karen's ranch, and they are quite full at the moment. Even so, they take great care of the dogs they have and work with quite a few sad and angry basenjis (and mixes!) to give them happier lives. I'll definitely be back to take one of them into my home for good.

Suggested Topics