Skip to content

Puppy Crate training

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • Does crate training get better?

    Basenji Training
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    14k Views
    M
    I agree, but it does take time and patience for some dogs to understand. My basenji, Charlie knows now his crate is his “home”, but from 8 weeks to now at 12 weeks, focused first on making sure he felt safe in it. This meant a Charlie proofed area that ended in his crate if he wanted to be with me while I worked. We are now introducing away time, but as mentioned, it’s building up from a mere few seconds to hours.
  • Crate Training Struggles

    Basenji Training
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    10k Views
    ZandeZ
    @eeeefarm said in Crate Training Struggles: What about something like this? A cabin hook on a spring ? yes, that could well do the trick. I will google one forthwith - thank you !
  • Puppy training at night

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    Baba BamideleB
    The rule of thumb I was taught is that a puppy can only wait an amount of time equal to their age in months plus one. So, at eight weeks old (two months), your pup can hold it three hours tops (1 month + 1 month + 1). You should probably schedule a couple of potty visits outside during the night, even though it will be a pain. When we got Cosette, my wife and set a timer for three hours and three hours beyond that. We took turns taking her outside. At twelve weeks old, we were able to lengthen the time between breaks to 4 hours, then 5 hours at sixteen weeks, etc. It's tough, but it will keep your home (and her crate) clean!
  • Crate training issues

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    @Lisa67: Thank you. I think we are doing a bit better than 75% so hopefully it wont take forever to train her. I guess when someone asks where I got her they mean the "kennel" name? I'm really new at this, sorry. I guess the correct reply is SunDiata Basenjis. Kennel name or breeder name…. and I know Chris and her Basenjis. Congrats and again welcome
  • Training a puppy

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    Robin_n_JackR
    HA! We did the up& back method at my petsmart class. Jack is so flexible, he would actually follow the treat back with his head, until his head was almost lying on his back. I think what I finally had to do was push his butt down with one hand, while holding the treat in front of his face with the other. He got really good at it…now, he sits when I snap my fingers, when I say sit, or, my favorite, when I salute him. Good luck!
  • Puppy training tips…

    Basenji Training
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    9k Views
    firefoxkatanF
    @Mantis: when Cairo cries in his kennel ( in there with Caesar) it means he has to go to the bathroom….i have found that immediate potty once out of the kennel is a great way to help with the potty training.... yes I take her out after sleeping in the crate and when ever she has a nap it helps ~Kat