• Some people never learn responsible dog ownership. Just this morning there was a story in our paper about a 15 year old Boy Scout bitten by dog that jumped out of an SUV when the boy was helping load a Christmas tree for the owner. He had to get several stitches. The dog could have stayed home and this would never have happened.

• My Basenji is very selective about the dogs she gets along with. She doesn't get along with any dogs that would give her attitude or tried to one up her. She was the target of some off lesh attacks in her time and once where a pitbull drew blood on her forehead and neckline when we were at the beach. It really shakes you up badly to see a member of your family hurt that way – proudly told though she held her own despite her size until we could get her out of the dogs reach!

It disgusts me how some dog owners would let their dogs off lesh if they cant be 100 certain that no incidents like that will happen.

• Basenji people are dedicated to our breed, and we all seem to be very responsible. Basenjis don't like all other dogs, so we socialize them the best we can and keep them on the leash so they can't attack other dogs or sprint off after a squirrel and get killed by a car. But there are still dog owners out there who just don't understand the principles of responsible dog ownership. You don't just worry about dogs attacking each other but people as well. I posted the story about how I was attacked by a doberman and nearly killed several years ago. If not for the mailman I wouldn't even be here to talk about it. The owner said he didn't think Raggs would ever attack anybody, so he would just open the door and let him out on his own to go potty. I'm so glad we basenji owners are more responsible than some folks out there who just don't seem to get it.

Suggested Topics