New Basenji in our Family Tonight!

• Well the house/potty training is probably the easiest part.
    Then there's the TP and paper towels issue …
    And the "I don't want to sleep in my crate anymore issue ...
    And the "I don't like this toy anymore ...
    And the "Where can I hide this smelling bone issue ...
    And the "Wow those underclothes are great fun to tear apart issue ...
    And the "Can I eat that food in the bottom of the dishwasher issue ...
    And the "Hey there's a squirrel outside let me out issue ...
    And the "Why shouldn't I be outside, the door was open a crack issue ...
    And the ...
    What fun for you to look forward to 😃

• That is a bit of a surprise that he is not house trained already at 16 wks? Was he kept in a kennel situation?

• @tanza:

That is a bit of a surprise that he is not house trained already at 16 wks? Was he kept in a kennel situation?

For the most part, yes, he was. He got to come in and play with the other dogs daily (his temperament is GREAT), but he's not trained, yet.

• @dorvaan:

For the most part, yes, he was. He got to come in and play with the other dogs daily (his temperament is GREAT), but he's not trained, yet.

It will be a bit of a trial then… and really will require constant supervision to get him potty trained.... along with taking him out all the time... after everything or in the middle of everything.... After eating, after sleeping, before sleeping (and for after sleeping/napping, I suggest you carry him out and not give him the chance to have an accident)... during play, as they get wound up and sometimes forget.

Hopefully you have verified that at least one parent was Fanconi tested Clear on the OFA site... and it would not be a bad idea to have him DNA with the cheek swab for your own piece of mind. Also, how is his eye(s)?

• @tanza:

It will be a bit of a trial then… and really will require constant supervision to get him potty trained.... along with taking him out all the time... after everything or in the middle of everything.... After eating, after sleeping, before sleeping (and for after sleeping/napping, I suggest you carry him out and not give him the chance to have an accident)... during play, as they get wound up and sometimes forget.

+1…Pat is exactly right...after everything and in the middle of everything. 😃

I had 5 weeks of no accidents in the house with my pup Liyah. But last week, she had 2 accidents...I know it is because she is teething. One of the times she was in the thick of play with my 2 adult bs and ran up on the couch...out flies a tooth :D:D:D. Jumps back down on the floor and squats (didn't even stop to sniff). :rolleyes:

Just be vigilant...and try not to get too stressed about it...

• @tanza:

Hopefully you have verified that at least one parent was Fanconi tested Clear on the OFA site... and it would not be a bad idea to have him DNA with the cheek swab for your own piece of mind. Also, how is his eye(s)?

Unfortunately, only one parent is on the OFFA sight. Where/How would I go about the DNA testing? Any idea on cost?

• The test is $65. You can order a test kit from the OFA website at https://secure.offa.org/cart.html

You will need to register dog for free at the Canine Phenome website, http://www.caninephenome.org

• If I posted Pedigress of the parents, would anyone be able to look it over and tell me anything I should be concerned about?

• @dorvaan:

Unfortunately, only one parent is on the OFFA sight. Where/How would I go about the DNA testing? Any idea on cost?

Is the parent on the site DNA'ed Fanconi Clear or Carrier? If clear you should be OK, however again I will say, it is well worth the money to be sure for yourself. If Carrier and the other parent was not tested, you for sure want to get the DNA test done.

And yes, many of us would know most of the pedigrees behind your pup, but because there is no or hardly any health testing, hard to be able to say much about any possible health issues.

If this was the same pup on puppyfind.com you really should have him seen by a Vet Ophth (board certified eye Dr) just to make sure that the only thing going on with his eyes and excessive PPM is just that.

• @dorvaan:

He's gonna be incredibly picky about his toys. We got him 5 different ones, to begin with. He ignores all of them, except for one. Now, little rawhide bones? That's a whole 'nother story…..

If he spent a lot of time in a kennel he might not be used to playing with toys. If he likes food-based toys you could try a stuffed kong or or something like these…

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/busybuddy/squirreldude/description

http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/product/1591/Everlasting-Treat-Ball.html

You can get them on Amazon or a lot of other websites. I saw the treat-ball at Petco.

And if you are interested in taking the puppy to a eye doc, I can get some recommendations for you. There are a lot of basenji people in the southern part of the state and I can get some references for you when I meet up with the basenji club this weekend.

Suggested Topics