• @Patty:

Yes there is progress in that there is now a linked marker test but I would have liked to have seen more! After all we still have Fanconi and still do not have the definitive test. I would have liked to have seen more progress, but I'm certainly not putting that forward as a criticism, I hope you're not taking it as such? It is my opinion only but all praise for what has been done so far.

Sorry, but I think that there has beena world of research and I truly never believed that there wouldf be a fanconi test in MY lifetime…
    so I am overjoyed that there is one now!

This is BEYOND what I would consider progress... this is a freakin miracle!

• Tanza -what I was meaning by 'understanding why Fanconi is such a major topic' was that I have been told that there are backyard breeders and puppy mills in USA that don't test and because of those circumstances I can appreciate what a problem it can be. Here where there are fewer breeders and most of them actually show so it will eventually (and very quickly I should think) become the norm for all breeders who want puppy sales to conform with the rest and test for Fanconi. Hopefully we will soon have 100% testing. I'm pretty sure that Tilly's breeder would be testing in future (too late for Tilly's owner, I agree). I'm sure that people wanting puppies here now,will be looking for tested parents. Obviously, I can only speak for Uk.
    Khanis, I've agreed that the progress is very good but I would still like to see research into the kidney function and would love to see a cure for Fanconi. That's me. Total progress for me would be elimination.

• @Patty:

Tanza -what I was meaning by 'understanding why Fanconi is such a major topic' was that I have been told that there are backyard breeders and puppy mills in USA that don't test and because of those circumstances I can appreciate what a problem it can be. Here where there are fewer breeders and most of them actually show so it will eventually (and very quickly I should think) become the norm for all breeders who want puppy sales to conform with the rest and test for Fanconi. Hopefully we will soon have 100% testing. I'm pretty sure that Tilly's breeder would be testing in future (too late for Tilly's owner, I agree). I'm sure that people wanting puppies here now,will be looking for tested parents. Obviously, I can only speak for Uk.
    Khanis, I've agreed that the progress is very good but I would still like to see research into the kidney function and would love to see a cure for Fanconi. That's me. Total progress for me would be elimination.

I don't think you can cure genetic disease???? Can you? I can't think of any that can be cured….

• At this time, genetic diseases can not be cured. There is research being done in gene therapy with the hope that eventually it would be possible to change the DNA of an affected person so they have the healthy gene. That sort of technology is still a ways off. The DNA test for Fanconi is for the breed as a whole a "cure" it allows breeders to make sure their puppies are not affected and over time the gene will disappear from the breed.

• Quercus, Ivoss - yes, thank you, - gene therapy would obviously be the ultimate answer but I would think would initially be very expensive. Elimination of Fanconi Syndrome by selection is of course the ideal.
    Ivoss - have you any idea just how far 'down the road' gene therapy has progressed? I'm not really up to date on this info.

• @Patty:

Tanza -what I was meaning by 'understanding why Fanconi is such a major topic' was that I have been told that there are backyard breeders and puppy mills in USA that don't test and because of those circumstances I can appreciate what a problem it can be..

BYB and PM do not test because they are IN IT for profit… testing of any kind cuts the profits.

@Patty:

Total progress in elimination would be everyone testing…. we have the test, so using it would be the only way to eliminate it.
    I am sure if you googled kidney research I am sure you could find tons of it... I never have as I am more than happy with the progress we have achieved in health-testing.

• @Patty:

Ivoss - have you any idea just how far 'down the road' gene therapy has progressed? I'm not really up to date on this info.

Quite a bit, progress is slow and results have not shown it to be very effective and side effects can be catastrophic. For animal breeding, selctive breeding applying DNA testing results is a far better method.

• @lvoss:

Quite a bit, progress is slow and results have not shown it to be very effective and side effects can be catastrophic. For animal breeding, selctive breeding applying DNA testing results is a far better method.

I totally agree…. and I for one would rather have money put into other genetic problems...... we have a long way to go.

• what?. if a basenji tested with both genes carrier and affected then there is still a chance that the dog would never show signs of the fanconi disease???!!!.

• If the test shows affected your basenji will probably come down with fanonis

Suggested Topics