New Basenji person in North Seattle (pup is 1 week old)

• Thank you all very much!

• @lvoss:

The best thing you can do is to work regularly on name response. Reward, reward, reward every time your pup responds to its name. Give it a treat so it associates hearing its name with coming to get a treat. Play the come game with the pup and your family have people in different rooms of the houes call the pup's name and reward it for coming to the one who called.

In addition to working on name response, I also establish a routine for going out so that they look for certain cues, like having their collar and leash, hearing their release word.

I have also worked with my youngsters by putting their collar and leash on, I open the door and if they rush out, I shut the door while I am still holding their leash so they can't go anywhere and then I make is sound like we are having a party inside without them. Since I have other dogs, I give them treats so when I open the door the one on the outside rushes in to see what they missed. Then I open the door again and repeat until they see the open door and look up and me looking for their "party" rather than running out.

Each of the three things have saved my dogs from harm. My front door didn't latch properly once and Nicky wouldn't cross the threshold because I wasn't there and his collar wasn't on. I have had leashes break when out on walks but my dogs have come to their names before they even realized they loose. My girl Rio accidently found herself on the wrongside of my front door when I was bringing in the groceries. I panicked when I couldn't find her, opened the front door expecting to have to search the neighborhood and there she was expecting her party. So in we came and she got her party for being such a good girl.

I love the party idea, Lisa! That is great!

• My dogs love the party too.:) It is one of the favorite training times.

• I'll have to try the party idea - that's a great tip - although I don't have much problem usually with Gossy getting out the door (fingers crossed).

Saralars - I think in addition to training your puppy, you should also work on training the other people in your house. A puppy is a big responsibility and consistent training by all the people in the "pack" will be important.

By the way there is a sticky thread on this forum under "training" about how to prevent escapes. You might want to read that.

• Yes, I agree with the whole pack training. That is key to reducing the chance of escape. I started reading under training last night and realized that I should have looked there first! Thank you all!

• Scat mats work great!! I have them and all my critters completely respect them now, I actually have one that the pack is dead and I just use the mat and it works just the same.

Here's a great example; today I had new windows installed in my house and one of my windows is actually in the sun room of my home. I had the dogs outside in the yard with me, but it was getting warm already in the sunroom so I opened the sliding door so the install guy had air flow and fresh air and then I just laid the Scat Mat down and was worry free. A little while later I had go back in the house and bring in a big crate to put the dogs in since my cat was in the wire crate with her litter box (she wasn't happy either LOL), and even though I walked away and left them neither one touched the scat mat.

• Can somebody tell me what a 'scat mat' is? It sound a very good idea.

• Scat mats are plastic sheets with wires embedded in them and a battery pack. When activated they give the beasties a slight shock (like you might get from static). I think this particular brand is made by PetSafe and you can find them on Amazon and other websites and also at PetSmart. They come in different sizes (runner style to squares) and cost about $80 for the smaller ones. My Gosssy learned to stay off the kitchen table after only two days.

• Scat Mat=http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752972

• Hi Patty,
    It sounds really great to me. I googled it and there is info and pictures online and buying information. We will do a combonation with our new pup. The mat gives the dog an annoying sensation that they do not like when they walk on it. I think that I am going to use it in part of my training. I will turn the mat off when he has his leash on and he will be able to go across it but any time he does not have his leash on he will know that he shouldn't go near the exit door! I was relieved to find out about this tool along with the other training ideas that members of the Forums have given me.

• However… you still need to be very careful with open doors, scat mat or not.... since a Basenji is a sighthound and they chase what they see... just like with underground electric fences (which I would never use)... if there is something out there... no amount of pain will stop them running through it.... and if they do, what it does stop is them coming back the other way ..... since there is no good reason in their mind to run though the shock

• By the way, which litter are you getting a pup from of Kathy's?

• It will be the litter of Jumoke Khani Baru and Teazer's Skylark.

• I would also be caution when using an aversive. Dogs do not always make the connection that we intend them to make. If the puppy is often over excited when people come over and hits the scat mat when people are entering it may start associating visitors coming over with the uncomfortable sensation. When you have people coming and going try to make use of a barrier or leash to prevent the puppy from rushing the door to avoid negative associations with people coming and going.

• Yes, I have started the training process around here already. This is not only with my kids but my husband and the neighbor's kids. I know the neighbor kids must think I am a little crazy now. "What's the deal with this lady and the dog she doesn't even have yet?"

• Dear Wizard

Thank you for the info. I have a 4 year old who despite us trying all sorts of methods continues to jump on the table just for the hell of it. These mats are certainly worth a try.

Also Saralars and Tanza for your comments and the link.

I'll let you know when I finally get one if it is successful. Although as you know it takes a lot to stop a determined Basenji!!

• @tanza:

However… you still need to be very careful with open doors, scat mat or not.... since a Basenji is a sighthound and they chase what they see... just like with underground electric fences (which I would never use)… if there is something out there... no amount of pain will stop them running through it.... and if they do, what it does stop is them coming back the other way ..... since there is no good reason in their mind to run though the shock

Just another thought on the statement bolded above…. In an suburban or rural environment those underground fences can be a death sentence to some dogs. Any vicious stray or coyote has open access to your yard, while the well trained, collared pet has no means of escape.

• We built a little fence with a self-closing gate around our little front area, small, about 3 X 6 ft. Even if they bolt out the door, they don't go anywhere. After a while they don't bolt! It is a reminder for us too not open the gate till the door is closed! Not sure if anything like that is possible where you live, but it has kept us sane with multiple basenjis!

• Thanks MacPack, I think I could do that or rather have it done by someone. I know if we did it, it would look like we did it!

• @lvoss:

I would also be caution when using an aversive. Dogs do not always make the connection that we intend them to make. If the puppy is often over excited when people come over and hits the scat mat when people are entering it may start associating visitors coming over with the uncomfortable sensation. When you have people coming and going try to make use of a barrier or leash to prevent the puppy from rushing the door to avoid negative associations with people coming and going.

VERY very good point!!! A leash or solid barrier (baby gate) is a much better barrier to have when welcoming guests.

For training for the scat mat or teaching the dog to avoid certain areas it's best to use with something that really should be avoided - like the garbage can - I got a boy that just didn't get it right away, and it took him quite awhile to realize that the Scat Mat and Trash can were things to avoid LOL. And he's a very vocally sensitive boy so even with it on low he'd screech out half the time he'd get the little zap. And it is really nothing more than a light static shock on low.

@tanza:

However… you still need to be very careful with open doors, scat mat or not.... since a Basenji is a sighthound and they chase what they see... just like with underground electric fences (which I would never use)... if there is something out there... no amount of pain will stop them running through it.... and if they do, what it does stop is them coming back the other way ..... since there is no good reason in their mind to run though the shock

Agree fully, one of my dogs will jump one scat mat but not two, so I lay two back to back. My other dog however when we come home is so excited coming out of the crate he shoots right over them once, then comes flying back over them again and then skids all around in the middle of the two dancing around trying to not get shocked; (neither one knows that their not even turned on any more LMAO)

Suggested Topics