• It's been awhile since I wrote about our basenjis.
    All was fine until a few weeks ago, our youngest is becoming extremely stubborn on walks. We walk both dogs at the same time because leaving one alone for any lenght of time…well you know..
    He pulls and tugs and darts at anything that moves. I have been tripped more times than I care to remember and very hurt on one occasion. I don't believe in pinch collars so they are not an option. Any tips or suggestions to help make our walks a little more enjoyable.

Jo-Anne

• I like the gentle leader.

• What is the gentle leader??

• I tried everything and was finally saved by the Halti. I use a soft choke collar and a halti because one of my dogs can slip each kind when she gets wound up.

http://www.dogsupplies.com/store/mcart.php?ID=271

• How about attending a basic obedience class?

• There is a halter (I think by Gentle leader)that has the D-ring (that the leash clips onto) at the front of the chest. A friend with a youngster uses one and says it really helps.

• Since the dog's motivation is moving forward to get at whatever it wants and you can use that as a reward when he behaves appropriately. You can try several approaches, a) stop dead in your tracks once he pulls and only move foward when the leash is slack (be a tree, you decide when he goes, not him…), b) when he pulls turn in the opposite direction at an angle (4:00 position on a clock, he won't be able to pull as steadily when redirected laterally), and walk in that direction for a little bit and then return to the direction you want to go, c) train him with a watch command, so that that if you see something in the distance that might set him off, you can get him to look at you and you can give him a yummy treat - that might desensitive him a little to some of the distractions.

When I tried these approaches, I really didn't move very far at first, but it paid off. Good luck!

• The Easy Walk harness is another option, and usually less annoying for the dog. But the Haltis and Gentle Leaders are nice too.

• @Jo-Anne:

What is the gentle leader??

http://www.pickofthelitterdogtraining.com/GentleLeader.jpg

I found this link to a pic. I got it since dash tries to eat other dogs that approach on leash, but overall it gives more control. I had a dog trainer fit it on him since the fit is rather tight, so it does not slip unlike the Halti.

Actual training would be best, but this could give you more control in the mean time.

• @sharronhurlbut:

How about attending a basic obedience class?

Would love to try obedience classes….any tips on keeping him calm in the car so we can get there... Our boy is quite the youngster or a little devil depending on the day

• @kiroja:

The Easy Walk harness is another option, and usually less annoying for the dog. But the Haltis and Gentle Leaders are nice too.

Both dogs are walked with harness'. Just purchased a Halti, will try it out and see how it goes. Some days are better than others:)

• @dash:

http://www.pickofthelitterdogtraining.com/GentleLeader.jpg

I found this link to a pic. I got it since dash tries to eat other dogs that approach on leash, but overall it gives more control. I had a dog trainer fit it on him since the fit is rather tight, so it does not slip unlike the Halti.

Actual training would be best, but this could give you more control in the mean time.

Thank you for the link

• Joanne,

We bought a Gentle leader yesterday. Since we walk through a forest preserve type park on a dailiy basis we have all kinds of animals that will get our dogs attention.

We just finished the easiest 4 miles that Roo and I have ever done. Kudo's to the inventor's of the Gentle Leader. By the way those 4 miles today were in the Rain and Roo did not balk at the rain a bit.

Jason and Miranda

• @ComicDom1:

Joanne,

We bought a Gentle leader yesterday. Since we walk through a forest preserve type park on a dailiy basis we have all kinds of animals that will get our dogs attention.

We just finished the easiest 4 miles that Roo and I have ever done. Kudo's to the inventor's of the Gentle Leader. By the way those 4 miles today were in the Rain and Roo did not balk at the rain a bit.

Jason and Miranda

What specific Gentle Leader and what size did you get for your B?

• Benny, we bought the small. Our dog is 21 almost 22 lbs of Pure Muscle. We walked 3 miles twice a day every day last summer, rain or shine, and at least 3 miles on most days in the winter conditions permitting. The small size is for dogs up to 25lbs. Please read all the directions and view the CD/DVD that comes with it. It is important to put this head collar on your dog properly and important to adjust it properly also. We bought ours at Pet Smart on sale.

Jason

• An Easy Walk or Sensation harness is also a good option for preventing pulling. Mine never adjusted to the Gentle Leader. They would refuse to walk and just try to get it off rubbing on everything. I have used the Easy Walk harness and it effectively stopped the pulling without the resistance they showed with the Gentle Leader. Both are made by Premier. Basenjis are the 'tweener size S/M.

• I used harnesses on both. Hold the leashes with the right hand and always keep them on on your left side holding the leash as well with your left hand for control. Keep them close to your left side. When you hold the leash with your right hand put your hand through the loop so it wraps around your wrist and then grab hold of the leash that way if they try to bolt suddenly the leash will not pull out of your hand.

• I tried the gentle leader, head harness; however, at the time Rocco was between sizes, so I did not feel I could get it quite right. I used the harness version, and that worked pretty good?until he stole it from the closet and chewed it up?I highly recommend you use a combination of a harness with the clip on the front (as this will make pulling more difficult) and training classes. As far as managing a dog in the car, the safest way is with a crate. At first they might not like it, but over time with more practice they will adjust. It only took a few classes for Rocco to figure out that riding in the crate meant he would be going to ?hang? out with some other puppies.

• We have never been able to enjoy our walks with Shaye - she pulled and slipped most harnesses, and choked herself constantly with every type collar we tried. With the Gentle Leader, she simply threw herself on the ground and would not stand up, and pawed the nose piece continually. BUT - at obedience class the other night, the insructor told us about the Easy Walk Harness, and we put one on her. I cannot tell you what a difference it made! She cannot slip it off, she knows she has no control, and she walks next to us with no problem at all - when she needs to do her business, we simply give her the length of the retractable, then when she's done shorten it up again and she pretty much walks loose leash, the way she should, for the rest of the walk. Wish I'd known about this when she was a little puppy - she's 6 months now, and we'll never have a walking problem again. I really really recommend this harness - no pulling on her neck, no discomfort at all, and it made all the difference in the world to us when it comes to walking her.

• I am also a huge fan of the Easy Walk harness and posted a recommendation on another thread. In our case, the timing also coincided with when her leash training finally began to progress. But there is no question that the harness helped a lot. We have the 'tweener size called small/medium.

Suggested Topics