• I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on foods that would help decrease dander/increase coat health to decrease the effect of the dog on people with allergies. Right now I feed Medjai Cannidae Grain-Free, and he does clean himself well, but my girlfriend is allergic to dogs. She hasn't met Medjai yet, but I want to try to make it easier. I'm in a bit of a pickle.

• I give Dallas a capsule of fish oil in his food every morning. He has had pretty bad dandruff lately since the weather has been so cold & dry around where we live. It's helped his coat out a lot. They are inexpensive & you can buy them basically anywhere that sells basic vitamins. Plus, Dallas finds them very yummy. The only downfall is, they stink :p

• I have very bad allergies to dogs, cats you name it! I have found that I do not have allergies to my basenji though. Not sure if if quote/unquote what they call "hypoallergenic" but there is something about their lack of dander that doesn't seem to affect people with allergies.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it until she meets him and then see if she is allergic. My allergies are one of the main reason I sought after a basenji and so happy for it :-)!

• @Ninabeana26:

I give Dallas a capsule of fish oil in his food every morning. He has had pretty bad dandruff lately since the weather has been so cold & dry around where we live. It's helped his coat out a lot. They are inexpensive & you can buy them basically anywhere that sells basic vitamins. Plus, Dallas finds them very yummy. The only downfall is, they stink :p

+1

Fish oil is the answer. I bought a 16oz bottle of natural Salmon fish oil extract awhile back. I put a teaspoon or two of it in Kananga's food in the morning. He loves the added flavor and his dandruff has greatly decreased. The air up in MN is very dry in the winter so it is a must. Should work wonders in warmer climates.

• @Kananga:

+1

Fish oil is the answer. I bought a 16oz bottle of natural Salmon fish oil extract awhile back. I put a teaspoon or two of it in Kananga's food in the morning. He loves the added flavor and his dandruff has greatly decreased. The air up in MN is very dry in the winter so it is a must. Should work wonders in warmer climates.

+1 on the Salmon fish oil. Works wonders!

Suggested Topics