• Any suggestions how to get Indy out of our bed into his own. It was really cold this winter, and we were trying to save on heating bills, this led to the pup sleeping under the covers with his sweatshirt on. But now that it is getting warmer I want to try and get him into his own bed.

I have a cuddle bed for him and a home made fleece blanket I don't want to put him in his kennel because he is in there all day while we are at work. Any suggestions on how to make this transition easier?

• Be prepared for lots of sleepless nights. Get him pooped during the day, then lay him on his bed. Everytime he gets on your bed, take him back to his bed. He will pace, whine, and chew any stray socks/kleenixes/underwear/rugs/and possible a text book… Be consistant. Continue this until eventually, he goes to his bed at night, stays there the entire night, and you will miss cuddling him.
    Can you tell that this comes from the actual experience... I really do miss snuggling him!
    On the plus side, it has made him more snuggly during the day on the couch!

• There should be lots of other threads with lots of good information as well.

• @rnasto:

Any suggestions how to get Indy out of our bed into his own. It was really cold this winter, and we were trying to save on heating bills, this led to the pup sleeping under the covers with his sweatshirt on. But now that it is getting warmer I want to try and get him into his own bed.

I have a cuddle bed for him and a home made fleece blanket I don't want to put him in his kennel because he is in there all day while we are at work. Any suggestions on how to make this transition easier?

You already sent the standard for him to sleep with you….. my personal opinion... is that your can try and "talk" him into sleeping in his own bed... and you can try the links that lvoss has already in other threads noted.... but really... if he is crated during the day... chances are.. he is going to be much more settled to just let him sleep in bed... he has no idea that the only reason you let him in the bed is to be a "warmer".....

• The only reason why Blaze had to have his own bed is because of his medical condition. He butt leaks, and will eat diapers off of himself…

• wow hhow did that happen?

• @tanza:

You already sent the standard for him to sleep with you….. my personal opinion... is that your can try and "talk" him into sleeping in his own bed... and you can try the links that lvoss has already in other threads noted.... but really... if he is crated during the day... chances are.. he is going to be much more settled to just let him sleep in bed... he has no idea that the only reason you let him in the bed is to be a "warmer".....

+1

If there's anything my B truly shows preference for, it's sleeping on my bed at night. As soon as I open my bedroom door he races to my bed to sit next to my pillow.

• He's 15 and has no liver, so the medication that he's on helps digest his food for him, but then his bowel movements are really acidic, and we get butt leakage. It usually only happens when he's really relaxed or really scared (like the skidoo ride, my hubby literally scared the poop out of him). I tried diapers, so that he could still sleep in the bed with us, but he ate them. Not just tore them off and shredded them, he ate them. So now he gets his own bed, and I miss cuddling him at night.

• If only they wouldn't do the pokey toes

• Ok so… we got him a nice cuddle bed. And we are slowly introducing it. While we are watching TV and taking our showers he seems to prefer this over the bed. This is the first day with his "big boy" bed so, so far so good, but we have not gotten to bed time yet.

::UPDATE::

Last night Indy climbed out of bed into his own and slept, until I woke him up and he got back into our bed again. PROGRESS!!!

• It took 2 months with COngo to learn how to sleep in his own bed. He was sleeping in the bed with my boyfriend until I came along and I sleep walk so I don't like having dogs in the bed with me. Everytime he would try to get in our bed I just put him in his own bed. It took a lot of patience because he would whine, hit me, cry, howl. It took a lot of sleepless nights but we got there eventually and now he actually prefers his bed. The only time I let him cuddle in the bed is in the mornings when we sleep in on the weekends.

Suggested Topics