I am ready to get rid of my Basenji

• After the baby teeth fall out dogs go through another major chewing phase as they work on jaw strength. Does she show interest in her toys? Here is a toy that one of my puppy people has found really keeps her dog's interest. You do have to use supervision because a basenji can destroy it, the large is the recommended size for a basenji. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Orka-Jack/142012.aspx

Another thing is to tether her to you while she is loose in the house so you are more aware of what she is doing. Also you can reward her for her good behavior while she is with you.

• Thanks, this helps.

• Thanks, I'll have to try the chew toy

• @Bambismom:

My Basenji is 7 months old. We try to watch her every moment but sometimes she's so quick that she darts away and has chewed furniture in a split second. She has chew toys and bones, but when she gets bored with that, she looks for something else…our furniture, moldings, window sills, etc. Does anyone know if this is temporary? Her teeth don't look like baby teeth to me.

My 6.5 mo. old puppy girl, Daisy and your 7 mo. old puppy could be related. 😃 They're certainly still puppies and I know she knows better, but lately has had an irresistable urge to chew things "not toys". I sometimes think she's testing me and my territory, to make sure what IS off limits to her. When we brought her home, I bought a big bottle of Bitter Apple and sprayed everything I saw her taking an interest to chew on. I have recently resprayed the sofa legs and skirting, moldings and table legs because I caught her revisiting the forbidden. I think she is bored and tired of her old chewy's. So, back to the store for a new toy stash, she can destroy them quick, so I buy the bargain bin plush. Also, she loves tennis balls. They are more time consuming to destroy - one ball will last a week or two.

I have to remember she still needs supervision. Yesterday, I told my husband to keep Daisy outside with him when I took my shower. 😃 Earlier that morning, he picked up what was left on the toilet paper roll. LOL!!

• lady disaster… an update please? I'm dying to know what happened to your pup and the household!

• Even though this is coming late maybe it can help somebody so just thought I'd mention that we had trouble keeping Manning in a wire crate. He could unlock the bottom lock and squeeze through the crate door by pushing it open with his body. We ended up having to literally lock him in the crate with a lock when we left. Instead of a real lock we usually used the metal part of the leash that you attach to the collar. I was afraid that he would get hung and hurt himself otherwise. I hate to say it but I actually jailed Manning lock and key.

• Ah the things we do to keep our kids safe. No worries Achandl2… we locked Rocky in the cage with the double snaps we'd use for the horse buckets to keep our daughter out of the kennel and give Rocky some peace. grin

It's all good.

• Update????

• no more posts….wondering.....my B drove me to tears at times but I'm so thankful I kept him cause he is my baby and now waiting for #2

• Where did you get your basenji from?
    Have you tried to take your b to some gentle basic obedience?
    Our breed is very smart..tho you might not think so, they like to stay busy and will "make" work for themselves if your not helping them get rid of the energy they have.

• I don't by any means want u to take this the wrong way But maybe the Basenji breed is just not for u and ur lifestyle my sister has a akita mix and a husky but she can't take more then 10mins with my B she goes crazy and doesn't understand how we deal with them Some people are just not basenji people it's not a bad thing but maybe u would be better off with a "easier" dog that isn't as stuborn . she sounds like she is having alot of issues that will require some serious patients but if u do decide to "rehome' her please make sure u contact BRAT.

• I don't think this person is still on the Forum?… at least there has not been any posts in over what, a month?

• @RockysWoman:

lady disaster… an update please? I'm dying to know what happened to your pup and the household!

She hasn't posted since Nov 2006 so I would venture to guess she gave up on the dog.

• jeez I didn't look at the date when I asked for an update…hope all is good with the dog.

Suggested Topics