Skip to content

Getting a basenji to play with a puppy

Behavioral Issues
  • We have a 15 year old Labrador and a 9 year old basenji both females that get on brilliantly. We added a male puppy 6 weeks ago. He is now 13 weeks and our basenji will still have nothing to do with him. She growls when he gets near and seems to be very defensive and afraid of him. What can we do to get her to accept him and enjoy him.

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    4k Views
    tanzaT
    In the US most all dog parks do not allow intact males or females
  • Basenji puppy growling when woken up

    Behavioral Issues
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    12k Views
    C
    I made sure when my girl did it, I con tinued to pick her up and say stop being so snarky and she would stop imedietely and lick me. I have a very unusual Basenji who loves to kiss and maybe that is because we kissed on her all the time from the day we got her, and whenever she got grumpy and than stopped she got loved on and kissed on. She rarely gets annoyed now because we follow through and never let her think she is the boss. So just follow through and tell her no and dont stop what you already started or she will think she is in control. I was literally a nervous owner with mine because I had heard so many stories about Basenjis and how difficult they can be, and I always had Whippets which are so laid back it is not even funny. But now I have totally gotten over it. I would get another Basenji in a minute and not think twice about it. She is the most entertaining awesome dog we have ever had. Just make sure she knows her place in the pack and love on her alot. It has worked with ours.
  • 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    9k Views
    P
    Congratulations on the future new addition. Boy/girl is a good combination. As others have advised let them meet on neutral ground and take them for a long walk together. For every good interaction praise both inordinately. As Curlytails says don't rush it. Keep us posted, please and best wishes to you all.
  • Play Biting is getting out of control any ideas?

    Behavioral Issues
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    21k Views
    wizardW
    One of the things I've learned from obedience classes and the various training books is that dogs (and IMO especially basenjis) learn to read our behavior really well but we're not as good at learning their behavior communications but they don't learn the nuances in language. Consequently they learn fast that they can get away with certain behaviors (like jumping and nipping) because we aren't doing our part properly to stop it. But they also can't tell the difference between "down = get off the table" and "down = lay down and be calm" and again we aren't doing our part to be consistent in our words (I think that's partly a function of our culture with so much slang and misuse of the language). I've found it is really hard work to be consistent in using verbal commands. Training a dog is as much training ourselves as the dog.
  • Basenji Boy Puppies

    Behavioral Issues
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    21k Views
    dashD
    sort of. The friend of mine who worked with the chimps said they were very poorly funded and were in need of a lot of things OSU wasn't able/willing to support anymore. It must have been horrible for her since that was her lifes work and I am sure they were her "babies"
  • I am ready to get rid of my Basenji

    Behavioral Issues
    34
    0 Votes
    34 Posts
    21k Views
    luzmery928L
    jeez I didn't look at the date when I asked for an update…hope all is good with the dog.