Skip to content

Basenji on the Roof

Basenji Talk
  • Brando is too funny! He's been at my house since last April, so almost a year. This past week he has suddenly started looking at his own reflection in the skylights at night. He sees himself, stares for a bit and then starts running really fast around the living room…I think he thinks there is another basenji on the roof :D. I've gone over to him to pet him and wave up to him in the skylight so that he sees me. It is so funny because he tilts his head so I know he sees me waving. This weekend we had temps in the 40s and every time ice would come off, he'd run over and try to see the mystery basenji making all the noise. Only problem was it was daylight so no reflection...so he couldn't see the basenji on the roof. As soon as night came though, he started looking up and there it was! :D

    What a card...he totally cracks me up. He's such a busy boy. :D

  • That is absolutely hilarious, you need to get a video of it!!!:D

  • That reminds me of Gossip seeing her reflection in the patio door. Every once in awhile she'll charge at the door to get at the basenji on the other side.

  • That **is **hilarious!

  • Congo looks at himself in the mirror and admires himself from every angle. He checks himself sitting, then he'll turn his back to it and flip his head around, then he checks himself out broadside. After all that he lets out this contented sigh. I am not sure if he thinks its another basenji or if he thinks he is just very good looking.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji for me or not ?

    Moved Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    8k Views
    ZandeZ
    @planetsaver said in Basenji for me or not ?: Will be a problem to leave him alone, let's say 10 days / month an average of 9 hours a day. Also I do not want to have to much trouble with the neighbours, but I understand he can make some noise sometimes, maybe he can be trained to stay alone and not to bark that much. Why would you even think about training a hunting hound to stay home alone ? I would never let my Basenjis alone for more than 4 hours, and even that is very rare. 3 hours is absolute maximum. Like @tanza, I have sold puppies into apartment environments as long as all other boxes ticked positive. Someone there all the time, proper attention to training, not just leaving the dog alone, especially not as a puppy. btw, he won't bark at all. As you would know if you had really researched the breed. He will cry and scream but not bark ! No. At least you are asking questions but I really think you should find another breed.
  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • My Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    6k Views
    krunzerK
    ….is a wingnut, but can spot a squirrel a mile away.
  • A basenji

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    21k Views
    Chealsie508C
    There's nothing like a basenji in the works, from the way they instinctively lay with their had on the bum looking the other way ( I've never met a B that doesn't) to the way you KNOW they all rub on wet towels or play bow…it's all very endearing and in this breed you often identify traits that they all have, an insight into their genetics and their behaviors. I've never enjoyed a breed so much.
  • The Other Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    8k Views
    KipawaK
    I read your blog and find it kind of confusing and ….. your comment about "messing with ..." hmmmmmmm.... Anyhow, yes, it is so cool when you come across another basenji, because they totally understand each other and how they want to play. We were fortunate once to have another basenji play chase with Kipawa at a dog park. I just don't think there are many basenjis in the Lower Mainland. :(
  • Basenjis are -

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    7k Views
    QuercusQ
    ooohhh…so true!!! Good observation!