• Blaze use to always sleep in my bed, but in his geezer years, he sometimes butt seeps. So sadly, he is back in his own bed. I still let him up in the morning for cuddle time, but he quickly learned that he had to be invited onto the bed. A plus side, he is more cuddly during the day now, and loves snuggling on the couch.

• Hahaha. Dallas started off not chewing. That quickly changed once he began teething. He doesn't really chew anymore but there were several months there right before he turned one where he'd chew on anything & everything he could get his little paws on! I hope, for you & all your belongings sake, that Maya doesn't start doing this too 😉

• @Maya:

Well, lets give it a few more weeks before we decide that she's the dream pup :p She could just be trying to make me feel safe, that she is the perfect basenji, then she will suddenly turn into a little devil dog 😃

but, so far, she is absolutely perfect. No howling, no screaming, no chewing (even when left out!!), no peeing, no pooping, no fighting with the others, no biting of me…. Its a good start 😉

Fingers crossed that you do, in fact, have the dream pup!;)

• @Ninabeana26:

Hahaha. Dallas started off not chewing. That quickly changed once he began teething. He doesn't really chew anymore but there were several months there right before he turned one where he'd chew on anything & everything he could get his little paws on! I hope, for you & all your belongings sake, that Maya doesn't start doing this too 😉

I've had labrador pups, im used to having everything i own chewed to pieces :p

She does have a good chew on her toys and the little chew sticks i give her. I've made sure to give her plenty of toys to keep her occupied for the times im not there. But she hasn't chewed her bed or anything. She keeps her crate area immaculate, its exactly how i leave it, except that she takes her favourite toys into her bed with her :rolleyes:

• @Maya:

I've had labrador pups, im used to having everything i own chewed to pieces :p

My mom used to say that exact same thing then she got her basenji. She decided the basenji was worse when he dug a hole in her couch because my dad was feeling under the weather and ignoring him.

Really her basenji is not normally a bad dog but every so often he catches them off gaurd and does something they didn't expect.

• Hollie has slept in the bed since the first night she came home from the shelter. We definately don't need the electric blanket in the winter… just her!!

• Thanks for all your comments, I now feel better about letting Darwin sleep with us!

• Shango sleeps in the bed with me, he too, keeps me warm. When I add my second B, it'll sleep in the bed too! 😃

• Mine have always slept with me, even when we had 5. I have a hard time sleeping without any basenjis when I travel.

• All the crtters sleep in our bed… and hubby still doesn't like it! Rocky would become the immovable object and gain 50#'s the minute he feel asleep. he was also a blanket thief… we'd wake up freezing only to find all the blankets curled around him. Lucky pup.

Since he's been gone, our new pup, Titus Pullo (1/2 shepard, rest lab with a smidge of something we can't quite put our finger on) sleeps with us. He, truly, is 50#'s of immovable sleeping dog.

• I think having a b sleep with you, helps in the bonding process.

• My Mr Eko will be 10 weeks tomorrow. He is a very good puppy too, as he sleeps in his own bed in our bedroom, and has never attepmted to get onto the bed (yet).
    ALthough we would love to have him in bed, we have decided to keep it as it is (as long as it lasts, i should say instead).
    He is also very quiet when crated (although i still have to get over my own distress for restricting him while we are at work).
    But he does love to chew!!!

Suggested Topics