Skip to content

Dry Skin?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Dry skin and fur

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    6k Views
    ZandeZ
    @prasadvaze The body odour would suggest to me there is something being ingested that his body doesn't approve of. I would change his diet to something grain free to start with and I would also talk to a vet who is experienced with Basenjis. Not just any vet. Find one who knows our breed and is prepared to research your problem relative to Basenjis
  • Dry dog food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    9k Views
    Chealsie508C
    Oakley was on the Iams intestinal sensitivity formula because I tried taste of the wild ( of all kinds) and he was still having stool issues, combined with a puppy bout of giardia…he did well on it but I didn't feel good about the ingredients. From there I tried nature variety and he wasn't a fan. He has been sensative stool wise with many of the high quality foods so now we use Fromms and he is terrific. He loves all the varieties ( I mix two kinds at a time..one of their grain free versions with a grain version in order to get a reduced grain diet; stool issues if none or too much!) His weight is steady and his coat has never looked shinier, smoother of softer. Lastly, he loves the taste and I don't have to coax him to eat. I agree with not free feeding OR feeding from the same bowl. Since yours have issues (whether it's weight or sensitivity) knowing when they ate and controlling how much will allow you to better navigate around the health issues and possibly identify the cause of some as well!
  • Seasonal skin trouble??

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    10k Views
    K
    any idea where i can find that in the use? or did you get that at the vet?
  • Skin/Coat Issues

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    N
    At the beginning there were a couple of little spots, this was about three weeks ago, I thought that they could have been the result of playing at the dog park so I just put a little bit of aloe vera on them, but then they started to show on different spots and not only on the black but on the white coat as well. I do not see him scratching himself on those spots but what I notice is that is getting dandruff, it is like his coat is going through something and all that comes to my mind is the food, I do not know.
  • Dry Dog Foods

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    S
    I use the Life Abudance and alternate between Paula Newmans. My dogs love it. Their coats look great. I totally support both of those dog foods.
  • Itchy skin

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    21k Views
    lvossL
    Also what kind of filter are you using? We use the allergen filters by 3M and they do make a difference for husband who has had allergies all his life.