• @Quercus:

Most of us learn that we CANNOT have an open garbage can in the house, nor an box of kleenex on the coffee table, or underwear on the floor, or a meal left on a table unsupervised…if you don't mind changing these habits, then it could be a good match.....

Hmmm…..
    you mean my kids are finally learning at 9 and 11 that it really IS okay to carry your dinner plate into the bathroom for complete protection??!!
    Things you learn to deal with oryou might as well NOT have a basenji.

• LoL, Kathy, I know what you mean, if I am eating anyplace else but the dining room table, the food must be moved when I do…or its fair game.
    The things b's teach us.

• our dining room table isn't even safe.. you're lucky haha 🙂

• When I first acquired my previous furbaby he quickly discovered that if he distracted me at dinner time by doing something he wasn't supposed to do, I would get after him – but he would have enough of a head start that he could go around to the dining room by the other entrance and snatch the dinner before I could get him 😃 Stupid me, it took a couple of times before I caught on to what he was doing.

• @hdolbow:

our dining room table isn't even safe.. you're lucky haha 🙂

That's why I purchased a cafe height table and chairs when we moved into the house. It has been SO nice now that the beasties can't jump up on the table. 😃

• Cafe height would not stop our 2 table jumpers. They can jump 5 feet flat-footed and probably could make 6 with a run at it. None of our others are table jumpers - but these 2 have done it since they were babies and nothing we do convinces them not to do so. Interestingly enough, the others will watch them do it and not try it themselves!

Terry

• I was 26, lived alone, and wanted a B. I had been doing my research for as long as I can remember- this was my "dream dog" but really started looking once I moved out on my own.
    I wanted a puppy. But after thinking about it- I was not home enough for a pup. I ended up contacting BRAT and got a sweet 3yo boy. I work 8-5 but can go home for an hour on lunch. I am also home every evening and on the weekends. And he is welcome at my SO home.
    I cant imagine having to raise a pup on my own with the schedule I had. I am glad I went with a 3yo.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck 🙂

• re: having trouble finding a puppy. I have gotten several emails of other slooking for dogs - I'm usually pretty good and hooking up folks with puppies but what I see is a little lack of understanding of how reputable breeders typically are at this time of year. So here's some: "I want a basenji puppy 101"

When I plan a litter - I take deposits - since I don't know how many puppies I'll have I only take a couple - certainly no more than 3. Now I've done the breeding and I start getting calls - I can't take anymore deposits because I have no idea how many or the gender I'll have. So I'll tell folks check back after…........ estimated due date. Or I'll put them on my list and get back to them. Just to give you an example of a couple of the calls I've gotten in the last 2 weeks. "you mean you don't have any puppies now, i just got a divorce and the kids are crying so I told them we could get a basenji puppy, where can I find one now?" Offer rescue, offer young adult etc - "nope I want a puppy now."

Well you know - that the puppy mills give their bitches shots to bring them into season so they are likely to be the only place that has babies now and then I'll here from her 5 months later when there is a new guy and the dog is in the way can I take him.

No one wants the young adults and if they are over 6 forget it. I have a perfectly wonderful BW boy that is 5 but he has primarily been around women and the women that contact me don't seem to want a BW. I know that another breeder that is on hiatus from breeding has a 9 and a 6 that are at her house but again - no one wants them.

We are reliable and reputable breeders but people see that we are responsible and that the dogs that come back to us don't have a sad story and are safe not like a rescue or an auction or in a kill shelter - so if they want an adult - they'll take one of those because they've got nobody.

The other thing I'm discovering is that many - like me - just aren't breeding anymore. Or not breeding much. Solid homes are too hard to find - we feel responsible for what we breed so we end up with a 9 year old that the family got tired of and he comes back here for the rest of his life - (he's 15 now). People that had been on my lists before - to get animals or may be interested in getting another one - I've connected with a couple of the bigger rescue events that have happened over the last 5 years so I don't have anyone on my - call me in a year list.

So if you are discouraged - keep in mind that we are also getting contacted by tons of homes that are NOT appropriate and have to sift through the calls we have.

If you live in one state - don't be afraid in contacting someone in another state - we are all connected - the breeders on the BCOA list had to pay an additional fee and remember to send in paperwork so not everyone who is planning a litter is on there.

In any event - I would be happy to help anyone find a puppy if I can - if you click on my website link by my name you can contact me through there. (oh by the way if you would like a basenji looking dog with a wire coat - I know where you can get some Medio Wire Podengos?) 🙂

• I would look into getting one that is no less than 2 years old. After you are a veteran owner, then get a puppy. Have you ever tried training a spider monkey that smokes crack? If not, that would be a very good way to prepare yourself for the havoc a basenji puppy will bring to your home.

They can really be holy terrors for a long time. But as we say in my family, "…they sure are entertaining..."

There are exceptions, but really not many. If you do decide to do it, remember you are getting a very crazy pup that will continue to be an innovative destructive little ball of sweet love & joy that can punish you to the same extreme that it loves you without guilt.

....but they sure are entertaining!

Vegas

• Although my DH gets yearly "puppy lust", my personal rule is "I don't take any basenji under 2". By 2, their brains have developed and their attention span is longer than a nanaosecond (where you are concerned). They still have plenty of youthful energy but are not uncontrollable maniacs bent on destruction. That said, I confess I get puppy-lust myself, they are just so cute and funny and adorable. That is how they live to adulthood!

Anne in Tampa

Suggested Topics