Skip to content

Dog friendly activities in Bar Harbor Maine?

Basenji Talk
  • My boyfriend and I are going up to Bar Harbor, Maine in September. The hotel we are going to allows dogs so we are thinking about taking Colbey, our basenji. Does anyone know of any good dog friendly activities? We'll only be there for the weekend.

  • I'm from Maine…Portland, not Bar Harbor...but here are a couple of ideas.

    There is the Dog & Pony Tavern...you can take your dog with you to have a drink...don't know if anyone has actually brought a pony there ;). There are the carriage trails in Acadia National Park which are amazing...not sure what restrictions there are, but I used to take my boyfriend's Jack Russell hiking there...Apatche loved it!

    And there is a monthly dog newspaper from Bar Harbor that might have some other ideas...Northeast Dog News
    http://www.downeastdognews.com/

    I'm sure if you ask the inn keeper they can give you some other info…there must be a dog park as the town is super friendly to dogs! Also, it is possible that in September some beaches might be open to dogs.

  • Thanks! I'll have to look at the newspaper. I'm sure my boyfriend was imagining a nice weekend without the dog… but I'd feel guilty leaving him behind with my room mate's if it is a super dog-friendly place.

Suggested Topics

  • Dog Tales

    Basenji Talk
    17
    2 Votes
    17 Posts
    8k Views
    sanjibasenjiS
    I found the transcript from the documentary. If the age part is true, the rest is not (unless there's difference between our European bred Basenjis and those in Africa): NARRATOR: Sharing the same curly-tailed trait [as the Akita] is the venerable African Basenji. DEBBYE TURNER: Basenji is the granddad of ancient dogs. However, they’re not that trainable. They will not do obedience tricks like other breeds. Come back here. And here’s an example! NARRATOR: There is something else very wolf-like about a Basenji… SOUND OF DOGS HOWLING NARRATOR: …its yodel. These breeds reveal much about how dogs may have appeared and acted after they first transitioned from pack hunters to scavengers and provide clues as to why they may have first appealed to humans. DEBBYE TURNER: You won’t see Basenjis doing tricks, but because of their closeness to their wolf ancestors, they are considered very adept hunters. Here's the video link. Basenjis mentioned 25 min. into it. https://www.pbs.org/video/dog-tales-vskr2y/
  • Dogs diedfrom dog treats

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    D
    If the dogs are having similar symptoms as in the previous years, they need to be treated ASAP! It is my understanding that many are developing the acquired Fanconi Syndrome and need to be put on the protocol. Many vets though do not have the equipment to do the venous blood gas test and get an accurate diagnosis. Emergency vets should have the equipment. Do not buy any dog treats that come from China and if the package does not state where it is from then do not buy it! Jennifer
  • Who is this dog?

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    BenkuraB
    I think I know!!! I think it's Dutch - Abotere's Zahir for Hicel. Oh dear, I speak to this dog at every show :o
  • Does your dog do this?

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    Rita JeanR
    Jaycee digs same way but she does somersaults head down over she gos first time neighbor saw it they could not beleive it. I think neighbor came over every day for a week waiting to see it again and Jaycee would do it. Yes I very much second that digging usually will cause the great B-500. Rita Jean
  • Teaser dog

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    BasenjiDivaB
    When Cory and Jayden get into something special (in their eyes) that they suspect they aren't supposed to have, they go and hide in a chair so they can examine it and chew it in private. There is no "Let's go show Mom!". Often Cory will rat Jayden out. She will make such a fuss that I've learned to recognize her "tattling" ruckus. If I want to get on the computer, I have to secure them in the room with me or put them outside. If not, Jayden WILL find something for them to get into. He is tall for a basenji and I swear he can use his front paws like hands! Pat
  • Things to do with your dog

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    BDawgB
    We take our kids as many places as we can… hiking swimming running/jogging- nature trails parks doggie events (like ours!! www.firstgiving.org/bdawg) I've taken Lexi to do lure coursing a few years ago- it was fun, but she wasn't as in to it as I thought she might be; our dobie was FAR superior! lol