Skip to content

Dog ramp

Basenji Talk
  • Does anyone use a dog ramp to help the dogs jump up to the bed. Is it necessary to get one?

    I read that all this jumping back and forth from the high bed can cause hyp displasia and other joint diseases in smaller dogs.

  • Hip dysplasia is a genetic disorder. It can not be caused by jumping up and down. Jumping up and down from a high place can aggravate bad joints.

    If your dog is healthy, I don't think a ramp is necessary. My oldest is 10 1/2 and still jumping on and off the bed. He has done so as long as he has lived with me and his vet says he has the joints and ligaments of a much younger dog.

  • @Alex:

    Does anyone use a dog ramp to help the dogs jump up to the bed. Is it necessary to get one?

    I read that all this jumping back and forth from the high bed can cause hyp displasia and other joint diseases in smaller dogs.

    Hip displasia is NOT caused by jumping… it is genetic period... If they have bad hips to begin with then yes, jumping can make it worse .... and IMO even a rating of "Fair" bears watching as they age.

    Now, I do have a set of doggy stairs, but they are for my 16+ yr old... and he just only in the last week started to use them....

  • Thanks for the advice, I guess the ramp is not needed.

Suggested Topics

  • Dog Tales

    Basenji Talk
    17
    2 Votes
    17 Posts
    8k Views
    sanjibasenjiS
    I found the transcript from the documentary. If the age part is true, the rest is not (unless there's difference between our European bred Basenjis and those in Africa): NARRATOR: Sharing the same curly-tailed trait [as the Akita] is the venerable African Basenji. DEBBYE TURNER: Basenji is the granddad of ancient dogs. However, they’re not that trainable. They will not do obedience tricks like other breeds. Come back here. And here’s an example! NARRATOR: There is something else very wolf-like about a Basenji… SOUND OF DOGS HOWLING NARRATOR: …its yodel. These breeds reveal much about how dogs may have appeared and acted after they first transitioned from pack hunters to scavengers and provide clues as to why they may have first appealed to humans. DEBBYE TURNER: You won’t see Basenjis doing tricks, but because of their closeness to their wolf ancestors, they are considered very adept hunters. Here's the video link. Basenjis mentioned 25 min. into it. https://www.pbs.org/video/dog-tales-vskr2y/
  • Dogs in Elk

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    R
    Oh God, I remember the first time I read this, way back in 1999, when this was a listserv. I printed it off, so I could show it to people. I have it saved and still laugh uncontrollably when I read it! Thank god there are no elk in Iowa. It's hard enough to wrestle a piece of pizza away from my two, let alone a carcass.
  • Dogs diedfrom dog treats

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    D
    If the dogs are having similar symptoms as in the previous years, they need to be treated ASAP! It is my understanding that many are developing the acquired Fanconi Syndrome and need to be put on the protocol. Many vets though do not have the equipment to do the venous blood gas test and get an accurate diagnosis. Emergency vets should have the equipment. Do not buy any dog treats that come from China and if the package does not state where it is from then do not buy it! Jennifer
  • Need a gift for a dog lover; customized dog art ideas??

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    lisastewartL
    I have had a couple stained glass made, but there is normally a 3-4 month lead time as the artists are already booked up for Xmas this yr. Most of the artists on etsy will be booked this late in the yr, I had two quilts and a needle felt made a couple yrs ago and I placed my order in June in order to guarantee Xmas delivery. If you have a nice photo, there is a company called treasure knits that does wonderful woven afghans out of a photo with about a one week turn around. I have had both afghans and pillows made from photos as xmas gifts from them and they do great work.
  • Bullying dogs - dog psychology questions

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    KipawaK
    Well, the lab I mentioned (chocolate overweight one) almost took me out by slamming into my knee. I commented loudly " he better not insure my knee!" No comment from the owner. Others were keeping an eye on this over exhuberant dog too. Many peeps were standing behind a bench for protection. What really bugs me is that the park has very visible signs when you enter it that say you must have control of your dog.
  • My dog is so dumb- My dog is so smart

    Basenji Talk
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    9k Views
    J
    Hollie will hide her treats and her dog food. Her favorite hiding place is under MY pillow in the bed. She has tried to hide her entire food bowl by pushing one of her plush toys with her nose in an attempt to get the toy on top of her food bowl. Why doesn't she just use her mouth to pick it up and place it on the bowl? Silly dog!