• I think I caught your post just before the edit, the hot list changes per person, and when they last looked.

BTW, I just noticed your quote at the bottom, and you are definitely right, if any animals do, it's basenjis.

• @snorky998:

I have to say that that 'offa' site is addictive.:o

Another question, if I may (sorry if I've become a pain in your tail curls!:D )

My previous questions about breeders led me to the internet in search of kennels that have lines similar to Kate's and Ty's. I found many breeders that continue to breed "probably carrier" dogs. Isn't that just a genetic crap shoot?? Even when bred with a "probably clear" dog.

I realize puppymills, back yard breeders, and couture breeders will always exist to muck things up, but is there anything in the works with BCOA to remove from their breeders directory members that might be breeding irresponsibly, or not testing their breeding stock for Fanconi?

There is nothing wrong with breeding a Carrier, as long as it is to a clear. You will only get Clears and Carriers in the litter, none that will produce Fanconi… A Carrier can NOT get Fanconi and bred to a clear can not produce an affected. Our gene pool is small and we can not afford to make the same mistake that was done when we got the DNA test for HA (Hemolytic Anemia) many years ago. HA is a recessive like Fanconi, many people spay/neutered everything that was not clear and it greatly reduced our gene pool... we don't need to throw everything out with the bath water... Again, however I stress.. if a Carrier or even indetermined (between a Clear and a Carrier, test was unclear and it should be considered a Carrier until we have a direct test) they should ONLY be bred to a Clear.
    And as I have already stated before, there could be a very good reason to breed an affected sire (via frozen sperm) to ONLY a clear. Yes you will have all carriers, however then you take that offspring to a clear... you can still breed very responsible using Carriers and even an Affected... however for an affected, there should be a pretty darn good reason to do that... like it might be the end of a particular bloodline.... that could be/should be continued...

And no, there is nothing in the works with BCOA about breeding carriers to carriers or even affecteds...

• Oh so many reasons for BOCA members and the AKC to open the studbooks to some great African imports.

• I would like to clarify something regarding breeding, especially when we are talking about Fanconi. There are many things that go into breeding, health, conformation, temperament. And there are many other health tests that should be done before breeding, not just DNA for Fanconi. There are Eyes, hips, elbows, Patellas, thyroid… there are other health things that come into play, allergies, skin problems..... there are many "clear" Fanconi dogs that in my opinion have no business being bred... a breeder must take everything into account, not just one test... you need to look at the "whole" dog and ask yourself... "what does this dog have to offer the breed?" What are you looking to gain from the breeding? What will these pups offer the breed to make it better? Certainly money never comes into play, because breeding correctly you will be lucky if you ever even cover the cost of breeding a litter... So there is so much more than just Fanconi, but of course now that we have the test, it gives breeders many more options and with the added assurance that we will never produce another affected Basenji.

• @Schouiffy:

Oh so many reasons for BOCA members and the AKC to open the studbooks to some great African imports.

Without a doubt, I totally agree… however I qualify that with... they must have breed type... I have seen "way" to many that people are claiming as Basenjis that are NOT even close to breed type...

• @tanza:

There is nothing wrong with breeding a Carrier, as long as it is to a clear. You will only get Clears and Carriers in the litter, none that will produce Fanconi… .

Let me expand on this statmen.. you will never get a Fanconi Affected by breeding a Carrier to a Clear… which is what I meant by "produce Fanconi".. Certainly if you breed a Carrier to a Carrier you can get affecteds...

• Thanks Pat, always good info you share.

Suggested Topics