• We would like to take Booger out to a coursing event to see if its something he would be interested in, but I can't seem to find any local events or even clubs. I visited sites recommended by Tanza in a previous thread as well as the AKC website; however, I can't find anything in Georgia. Does anybody here know of any clubs or events in Georgia?

• Andrew!! How coincidental! I've been researching lure coursing in Georgia as well. I just went to my second coursing event here in SoCal with Zip yesterday and she ran her second JC leg. My roommate and I and 2 basenjis are packing up and driving to GA in 8 days. Whew countdown!
    I would be very interested in lure coursing in GA. The soonest one I saw was october. Could that be because the summers are brutal?? Not exactling coursing friendly?

• A few months ago, the AKC had some events posted up for this spring/summer, but they're not on the AKC site anymore. I can't even find a club in Georgia (there is a Whippet club but I don't know if they allow other dogs??)
    Anyway… what part of Georgia will you be in? Are you moving or just visiting? If you have some time, we'd love to meet you. There is a GREAT off leash park near us (about 20 minutes north of Atlanta), and we love meeting other basenjis. There aren't many around here.

• Did you try the ASFA site? www.asfa.org
    I know there are clubs in Ga…

• There are 3 days of ASFA coursing planned for this weekend in Calhoun, GA hosted by Borzoi Club Of Greater Atlanta, BCGA, http://www.asfa.org/event/bcga.htm

• Andrew: Yes we are moving there. Liz is from there originally, and came to CA for college. We'll be in Marietta for a month or so until we find our own place.

• I discovered that ASFA Region 7 has its own website:

http://asfaregion7.com/

In the fall there's actually a ton of events listed on their calendar. There's something almost every weekend in November and December. That's exciting. Just a long time away.

• I can't find that thread where BDAwg was looking for info on the Leesburg, VA event. The premium is up on that website, even tho VA is region 8. But it's there, nonetheless.

• Andrew,
    The lure coursing club I belong to holds practices every month, weather permitting, in Alpharetta. You can contact me at yodeldogs at aol dot com and I can get you in touch with the club secretary for notifications of practice days.

• @mauigirl:

Andrew: Yes we are moving there. Liz is from there originally, and came to CA for college. We'll be in Marietta for a month or so until we find our own place.

Let us know if you need anything we are about 20 minutes east of y'all in Dunwoody. abeishline@gmail.com

@YodelDogs:

Andrew,
    The lure coursing club I belong to holds practices every month, weather permitting, in Alpharetta. You can contact me at yodeldogs at aol dot com and I can get you in touch with the club secretary for notifications of practice days.

Thanks Robyn I will pass this on to Carrie (the one who started this thread).

• Hi All!

We got here (Atlanta) 2 days ago and we took a little while to recover from the looong drive. The dogs were little angels. They rode in the back of Liz's convertible wearing seat belt harnesses and they slept move of the time. Where we are now there's a huge yard and the dogs love it. Zip actually caught her own dinner yesterday, a rabbit. After I got over the awful squeal the thing let out when she clamped down on him I was darn impressed!!! I couldn't help but watch the aftermath. I don't know that I'll think of her the same again. It was badass.

Anyway, Andrew….we would love to go check out that dog park you mentioned. Can you tell me what it's called and the general location??

• @mauigirl:

Hi All!

We got here (Atlanta) 2 days ago and we took a little while to recover from the looong drive. The dogs were little angels. They rode in the back of Liz's convertible wearing seat belt harnesses and they slept move of the time. Where we are now there's a huge yard and the dogs love it. Zip actually caught her own dinner yesterday, a rabbit. After I got over the awful squeal the thing let out when she clamped down on him I was darn impressed!!! I couldn't help but watch the aftermath. I don't know that I'll think of her the same again. It was badass.

Anyway, Andrew….we would love to go check out that dog park you mentioned. Can you tell me what it's called and the general location??

Just a note, watch for tape worm if she ate the rabbit… many time they will get a tape worm from "critter eating"...

• You know, gosh, I knew it. I asked like 3 times if it was ok before we let her have it. But I guess the people to whom I posed the question wouldn't have known. Should have gone with my instinct.

• @mauigirl:

Hi All!

We go to two parks… Brook Run (or now called Liane Levitan). Its in Dunwoody. It is closest to us, but it is completely wooded & is not as nice for running. Also, we saw a large copperhead snake there the last time we went, so we're avoiding it for the summer.
    The park we like more is at Pickneyville Park in Norcross up Peachtree Industrial. It is large, grassy, and mostly flat with a small rise in the middle. It is great for running so we don't mind driving the extra distance.
    We go there frequently, so send us a PM and let us know if you can meet up sometime. I will probably be going up Monday afternoon & sometime on Friday & Saturday of this week. It would be great to see other basenjis up there!
    Also, there are a few more parks in the Atlanta area & suburbs, but we haven't been to any of them so we can't give you an opinion on them. Just google Atlanta dog parks.

• Robyn,

Do you mind if I contact you for the information as well?

Thanks,
    Donna

• @mauigirl:

You know, gosh, I knew it. I asked like 3 times if it was ok before we let her have it. But I guess the people to whom I posed the question wouldn't have known. Should have gone with my instinct.

Hey, its fine to let her have it…. but sometimes the after effect is a tape worm, easy enough to get rid of.... don't be too concerned. Vickie Perrine's kids catch and eat them all the time in her yard.. and she has no opportunity to "get them away" from the B's :eek:

• @Eli_and_Me:

Robyn,

Do you mind if I contact you for the information as well?

Thanks,
    Donna

Sure thing 🙂

• Funny that I just found this site and thread. I don't have basenjis, but was looking into lure coursing for a friend with basenjis who is living south of Atlanta but works in Atlanta one week a month.
    I go to a private dog park in Alpharetta(Wolfbrook) that had 1 member with a Basenji but she moved. Her name was Lee and the dog's name was Zulu.
    I'm forwarding this site to my friend's email, she's not a big internet user but hopefully she'll get her dog out and back into lure coursing.
    Shelley

• The website for the club who holds monthly practices in GA is Sighthounds Of North Georgia.

• I understand there are Lure coursing events to be held in Calhoun, Ga. and Moreland, Ga. Can anyone provide the actual location so that I might visit and event?

Suggested Topics