• Has anyone had any luck getting their Baesnji to chase and bring back a frisbee? Mine only seems to want to chase it if other dogs are involved.

• @Reagan:

Has anyone had any luck getting their Baesnji to chase and bring back a frisbee? Mine only seems to want to chase it if other dogs are involved.

For sure Basenjis do not normally retreive… period...:D Most of the time they might get it one or two times... the rest they look at you like "Go get it yourself, you threw it".... Of course there are a few that didn't read that part of the book and will chase and bring it back.. not very many however

• Mine will chase after toys (I never tried frisbees) if she is in the mood, but often times if we are outside, she will just run full speed to the toy, but then stop when she gets to it, then run full speed away from it again…weird little girl 🙂 If we are playing inside, she will often bring the toy back and want me to tug with her a little on it before throwing it again. No fetching outside though...

• Frisbies are not Lexi's thing. But when I get home from work, the first thing she does is run to the toybox and get something to bring me. It's SO cute!!

And of course she wants me to throw it so she can get it and bring it for me. This happens a couple of times and then we're done. 😉

• @BDawg:

Frisbies are not Lexi's thing. But when I get home from work, the first thing she does is run to the toybox and get something to bring me. It's SO cute!!

And of course she wants me to throw it so she can get it and bring it for me. This happens a couple of times and then we're done. 😉

Exactly…. throw it a couple of time and then its over!!! Kristii does that too!

• Actually, Brando, the 3yo boy I just added to my family loves to fetch…anything. I can throw a ball for half an hour and he'll bring it to me every time. The funny thing is Ru will watch him and run after the ball and try to get in his way so he'll play with her instead of the ball. When she realizes he won't stop playing ball, she'll grab the ball and bring it back. She'll only do it a couple of times, but it is a couple more than she ever did before. 😃 😃 She gets a HUGE amount of praise when she does it as I'm trying to encourage the behaviour. Needless to say, it is really easy to get Brando tired out! 😃 😃 😃

I don't know how it came that he learned fetch...he came to me already programmed that way 😃 😃 😃 :D. I'll be talking to my breeder in the next couple of days and I'll ask them about it.

• Zest will fetch. When I first got her, I'd toss "blue bird" and everytime she brought blue bird back, she gets a treat. Of course blue bird is also on a leash, so even if she doesn't want to retrieve blue bird, blue bird still comes back to me. I found this also translates to a tennis ball. And yesterday it worked a little while with a small stick. The rabbit pelt, she is hesitant to retrieve. Goes out and kills it fine, just doesn't seem to want to bring it back quickly.

• I have tried teaching Dallas to fetch but so far no luck. I throw something & he never actually brings it back for me to be able to treat him for it. I tried giving him a treat whenever he came into the vicinity of my boyfriend or I with a toy in his mouth but it just didn't catch on.

And he too will run full force towards the frisbee but then run past it, turn around & start running back while I am in the process of walking towards it to pick it up…only to rethrow it & start over again. LOL

• Jack plays tag with whatever I throw. I throw, he runs over to it and without stopping, will tag it with a nose or a paw, run around the item and run back to me, looking at me like, "Throw it again!" Usually sets off a B500.

• Our Bitty, came to us as a semi adult, the people we got her from said she was 3 but she just dosent act it. Anyway, the second day we had her I was tossing the stuffed 'baby' for Sable, our Shiba Inu to fetch and suddenly there was Bitty outracing Sable for the toy and bringing it back to me. It is now her favorite thing to play with 'dad'.

• I've always been interested in Shiba's! I would love to have one. Can you tell me more about them? Is there a lot of shedding? What's the temperment? Besides Basenjis, and Eski's Shiba's are my dream dog!

• Sahara loves to fetch, I taught it to her when she was a puppy. I can tell her to go get whatever toy I decide to fetch and she picks the exact one out of her box and brings it to me. She will play until she gets tired or I decide to stop myself.

• We had Shibas when I was young. My parents got their first one when they still had a B. They are a great compliment ot eachother. IMO Shibas are the closest other dog you will find to Basenji temperment. And they are super nice to cuddle with in the middle of winter. I don't htink they shed that much, but then again this is coming from someone with a smooth coated parson Russel (Talk about shedding OMG) 😃

• You want to talk about shedding, lol. Our 2 Shiba's only shedded once a year when we lived in Florida, all year long. If we didn't brush them every day we had a mat of beige fur all over everything. However since moving to Missouri we only have to put up with it for maybe 3 months a year, once in the early fall and once in the early spring. As for personality and disposition SI's are long haired smiling Basenji's. We've had Itty Bitty Basenji for 4 months now and she and Sable our SI are best buddies, shoulder rolling, ankle nipping, and playing chase with their little grey Kitty. They havent taken to cuddling with each other when they sleep, I think because Sable gets too hot when Bitty sleeps curled up close, and Bitty is usually found under the covers against dad's back. In just about every other way they are the same, you have to watch them like a hawk if you open the door, they will both try to rush it. When out in the yard, if it moves they will chase it. If it is raining the B will drag her feet before getting off of the porch, whereas the SI is ears deep in the wet grass and shrubs, hoping to scare up something to chase. Before winter ended Bitty would start shivering even before I started for the front door, but the Shiba's relative closeness to the Siberian Husky is very evident, she plows through any depth of snowbank, joyfully.

Suggested Topics