• I just got a call from a shelter in the PNW.
    They had a young est 1 yr old tri male intact dumped outside of the shelter and the car took off.:mad:
    The staff had to work to get him in side.
    SIGH!
    WHAT is with these people.
    More too follow.
    Thank heavens I have a foster home who is open and can go get him.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I just got a call from a shelter in the PNW.
    They had a young est 1 yr old tri male intact dumped outside of the shelter and the car took off.:mad:
    The staff had to work to get him in side.
    SIGH!
    WHAT is with these people.
    More too follow.
    Thank heavens I have a foster home who is open and can go get him.

WOW, how sad…..

• I will just sum it up in a few words and say ….. Those type of people that do that should be shot .. And i'm not a violent person but come on who just drives up and opens the door and takes off ... well that being said should that bill ever come up for vote lol You all know my stand lol So glad u have an open foster home for him to go to sharon 🙂

• Yes, he is pretty, but has dew claws byb? and something happened to his tail.
    Its only partly there…probably a birth defect??
    Anyway, he is a PB...so we will be getting him fixed and vetted asap.
    I shouldn't be shocked, but this type of thing always makes me dispair.
    At least he is now inside, safe and will not be adding to the rescue pop.

• Yes, he is pretty, but has dew claws byb? and something happened to his tail.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Yes, he is pretty, but has dew claws byb? and something happened to his tail.

Thank goodness… and yes.. even though there are BYB's that now do dew claws... sounds like this one is for sure a BYB... and poor thing "dumped".... again another person that purchased a Basenji and never knew about the breed....

• OKay- I'm ignorant…what are dew claws? Are they bad?

• Dew claws are sometimes called "thumbs" they are the nail that you find up on the leg by they ankle joint. Breeders have them removed at 2/3 days of age as they are not for any use and only wind up causing injury. Many people forget to keep them clipped/filed like the other nails on the foot and especially long haired dogs, we have seen them grow all the way around and back into the leg….

• oh- crap. Jack has those, I didn't know what they were.

• Yup, Fiji has them too. There are many, many great things about this forum. The bad thing is what an infinite source it is of all the things that are - or could be - wrong with your pup.

• But, as long as I watch them, and make sure they are trimmed, then they shouldn't be a problem, right?

• Robin,

My Eski had his front dew claws still on all his life. They never were a problem as long as I remembered to cut them (They were hard to see, all that hair!). I know on some very active outdoor breeds (hunting dogs) they can become problematic because they can get 'torn' by being caught in the brush etc.

Keep Jack's short and he probably won't ever have any trouble with em.

• @Robin_n_Jack:

But, as long as I watch them, and make sure they are trimmed, then they shouldn't be a problem, right?

Yes, sometimes they can "catch" on something and "rip", but by keeping them trimmed that will help…

• Tosca has them as well. I just get them cut every so often, and everything is fine. However, we got her from a shelter in Iowa and she was originally from CA, I don't know anything else about her history. Does the fact that she has these mean she is from a BYB? Or do some reasonable breeders keep them also? She also has a small tatoo on her belly, its a circle and a cross below, the sign for female. I don't know if that was cosmetic or a breeder thing, but its something I've never seen before on another dog.

• Well my pup has them and she is from a excellent breeder… It might vary from country to country. I believe they are kept in the Euro..
    Lyly has never had a problem with them.

So sorry to hear about the Tri boy.. ugh.. I agree, open season on ignorant buyers. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Dew claw removal varies from country to country, much like tail docking or ear cropping do. Kennel clubs in some countries do not tolerate any surgical alteration of the dog.

I'm inclined to agree with them…fwiw

• @EskiLovr:

Dew claw removal varies from country to country, much like tail docking or ear cropping do. Kennel clubs in some countries do not tolerate any surgical alteration of the dog.

I'm inclined to agree with them…fwiw

In the Netherlands it's illegal to remove dew claws, dock tails and crop ears. You can't show a dog with these things done when they come from a country where it's illegal.

• And while I agree with docking and ear cropping… I don't agree with not removing dew claws (as 2 or 3 day old babies).... I have seen way to many rippped dew claws in my time... or uncared for dew claws....

• I asked Andrea, the Tri's foster mom to post her photos and eval for this boy.
    She says he is very sweet…
    So, more soon.

• Yes, I want to see pictures of this little guy who's getting a 2nd chance!! I love rescues!! 🙂

Suggested Topics