• @sharronhurlbut:

I do know of a private fanconis site that handles b's that are actively showing signs of this awful illness.
    I am not sure if they take "pre" fanconis basenji's or not, but I will ask.
    Hugs.
    Its hard to hear this news, but remember, YOU basenji doesn't know what is coming..just that it is happy today.
    Hugs again.

Sharron,
    They do not…. only affecteds at this point.... many had asked when this test became available

• It's ok, I plan on keeping Medjai anyway. There is good news to this, and that's that this if the first I've seen in awhile of a dog getting the test showing affected. That means most of the breeders are doing a GREAT job of breeding for the good of the breed.

• @etzbseder:

It's ok, I plan on keeping Medjai anyway. There is good news to this, and that's that this if the first I've seen in awhile of a dog getting the test showing affected. That means most of the breeders are doing a GREAT job of breeding for the good of the breed.

Well at least here.. if you go to the OFA site there are many, many affected Basenjis… but on the whole breeders (responsible ones) did pretty good with the information they had... but if you look at the many, many different kennels with so many Carriers.. if we didn't get a test, in the next 5 yrs we would have been over run with affecteds... IMO And those are from people that are considered responsible breeders... lets out all the other people breeding without testing and not knowing the bloodlines behind the dogs or keeping records on offspring...

• I will add one more thing here… if your dog is tested as affected, it is really to their benefit to spay/neuter asap.... there is no good reason to keep them in-tact... as you will never want to breed them... or if there was, it would only be males and them you should collect and freeze... there is stress on an in-tact dog/bitch... and the sooner you can make their life as stress free on their systems as possible.. the better chance they have at staying healthy for as long as possible...

• Best of luck to you and Medjai.

• One thing you might consider to do with Madjai, sooner then later is a complete Thyroid panel…. as many B's with Fanconi do have low Thyroids... and if maybe you know that early and can begin to supplement.. it might make a difference long term.

Much of treatment now that we have a DNA test is new to the entire breed..

• @etzbseder:

Well, I got the results back yesterday, and they say that Medjai is "PROBABLY AFFECTED WITH FANCONI SYNDROME". So, now I get about one more year of little worry before I start strip testing and waiting for the inevitable.

Hang in there. It is a tough road ahead. neither you nor your dog will understand the changes that can happen so suddenly… but know that it is not with malicious intent that they pee and pee and pee. There are so many supporting groups and people out there to help you and your B thru this. You can have a good life even with this sentence hanging over you.

Best of luck. Enjoy your B as they are today... don't worry about tomorrow. I'll keep you and your Medjai in my thoughts.

Suggested Topics