• Well, I got the results back yesterday, and they say that Medjai is "PROBABLY AFFECTED WITH FANCONI SYNDROME". So, now I get about one more year of little worry before I start strip testing and waiting for the inevitable.

• oops, it looks like there are two threads. Please delete one of them, admin.

• @etzbseder:

Well, I got the results back yesterday, and they say that Medjai is "PROBABLY AFFECTED WITH FANCONI SYNDROME". So, now I get about one more year of little worry before I start strip testing and waiting for the inevitable.

I am so, so very sorry to hear that…. hugs to you and Medjai.... there is lots of support out there "if" and/or when he might start to spill.....

If you have not already, you might want to print off the protocol for Fanconi management and pass along to your Vet. You do want to make sure the if the time comes, your Vet is "on board" with the treatment plan.

• Thanks, I am going to be moving to tucson at the end of the next school year, and will be looking for a new vet. Although I will also be closer to a couple B breeders that should have some info for me as well. I am already talking with one of them about getting another dog when I move, and settle a little.

• @etzbseder:

Thanks, I am going to be moving to tucson at the end of the next school year, and will be looking for a new vet. Although I will also be closer to a couple B breeders that should have some info for me as well. I am already talking with one of them about getting another dog when I move, and settle a little.

Yes there are some in AZ… one is a Vet Tech in the Tucson area so for sure she can point you are a good Vet I would think... if you would like to send me a private message I will pass along her name and email to you.

• I'm so sorry to hear that 😞

• I am not sure, but it appears that PMing is gone.

• @etzbseder:

I am not sure, but it appears that PMing is gone.

If you go to my profile, the email is there, but I will send you a message.

• Unfortunately PM has been disabled due to abuse by other members as stated in this thread.
    http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=3464

Please respect our policy about posting personal contact information such as emails on this forum. At this time if you would like to contact another member through email we would need to be notified at admin@basenjiforums.com.

• Sorry, I did know the PMs were disabled, but was not aware of the problems with posting personal info on your own, as that would be the same as posting it anywhere else. I'll try to do better in the future.

• Since Medjai has so many relatives on this list I thought I would mention that his being an Affected means that his parents must be at least Carriers.

For those who want to submit their dog's sample for testing the Canine Phenome Project website is, http://www.caninephenome.org You must register you dog with the CPP prior to requesting the test. You can also print submission forms with directions on how to submit blood to the U of MO from this website.

• Sorry to hear that, very sad

• Yes, especially because he does have so many relatives on here. Thank you for pointing that out to the rest of the people.

• @etzbseder:

Well, I got the results back yesterday, and they say that Medjai is "PROBABLY AFFECTED WITH FANCONI SYNDROME". So, now I get about one more year of little worry before I start strip testing and waiting for the inevitable.

I am really sorry Michael. I know what high hopes you had for Medjai. With a little luck, maybe he won't experience kidney changes until very late in life, and will respond well to the protocol.

• very sorry to hear this! [HUGS]. Jackpot is Medjai's half brother (share the same dam) & we are getting ready to do the Fanconi test next month…so I'm worried that we'll hear the same thing since it is likely...(given what I remember about Mendelian genetics principles). Only time & the test will tell.

But I'm very sorry that you got disappointing test results. 😞

• @etzbseder:

I am again sorry to read this, but I did have a questions (please excuse my ignorance as I am just fully jumping into learning about basenjis) but because you found out now, why are you waiting about a year to begin the strip testing? I think I understand the point that they don't normally show signs until a certain age, but wouldn't it be better to start now?

• @basenji_fan:

I am again sorry to read this, but I did have a questions (please excuse my ignorance as I am just fully jumping into learning about basenjis) but because you found out now, why are you waiting about a year to begin the strip testing? I think I understand the point that they don't normally show signs until a certain age, but wouldn't it be better to start now?

You can start anytime, but since it is pretty known that the earliest that a Basenji will start to spill sugar in the urine is 2, it is pretty much a waste of the strips and money and you really would not learn anything….. (and the earliest I have ever heard was 2 1/2 yrs), But this can serve as a reminder that when you do start testing, one a month for 3 to 4 days in a row gives you a better chance at catching Fanconi really early...

But we all hope here that Medjai doesn't have any kidney changes for a long, long time....

• **I am so sorry Michael….
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that Medjai will never become
    symptomatic or not until he is old old old.
    Make sure you start striping at 2.
    If you catch it early and put him on the protocol, he can live
    a long healthy life.

I am living with a fanconi dog right now and he didn't start
    spilling sugar until he was almost 6.
    He is 8.5 now.
    He's been doing real well on the protocol.
    The only down fall is he drinks and pees A WHOLE BUNCH.**

• I do know of a private fanconis site that handles b's that are actively showing signs of this awful illness.
    I am not sure if they take "pre" fanconis basenji's or not, but I will ask.
    Hugs.
    Its hard to hear this news, but remember, YOU basenji doesn't know what is coming..just that it is happy today.
    Hugs again.

• @etzbseder:

Jazzy is probably affected also, and her mother has Fanconi, which developed shortly AFTER Jazzy's litter was born:( and just two years too soon for the test.

So, I strip test, and I wait, and I worry, but I also am hopeful – the test results do not mean that they WILL develop Fanconi; they mean a high probability.

Focus on today... you may have YEARS of great health ahead with Medjai, in fact you may well have a lifetime of great health.
    Try to stay positive!

Suggested Topics