Keoki meets an old friend….or not!

• Today my friend stopped by w/her Fox Terrier, Duke.
    Duke is about one month older than Keoki. Just shortly after I got Keoki last year, we'd gone over to their place and, once Keoki had stopped growling and decided to play nicely, the two pups had played and played and played. Duke had actually worn Keoki down and out. He was so playful.
    The two haven't seen each other since.

Today….Melody's daughter was coming by to cut my daughter's hair, so Melody came along and brought Duke. She and I were outside with him for a while and he was being so incredibly sweet....... I brought Keoki out to see how he'd respond this time. I was a little concerned because my dogs just don't see other dogs up close and "socially".
    I was very surprised to see that Keoki was very sweet, curious, etc. and Duke
    went NUTSO as soon as Keoki appeared. He was growling, barking, baring teeth! :eek: Keoki was trying to approach to sniff, and Duke kept trying to attack him. He was out of control. Keoki finally gave up and just started sniffing around the yard. Duke got locked in the car.

It was crazy. But I was so proud of Keoki for not reacting to the crazy dog. 🙂

• Keoki has a better memory than Duke!

Anne

• GOOD Keoki..BAD Duke!!!

• Oh what a good dog Keoki is. Charli and his Golden retreaver friend are like that when they haven't seen eachother in a while. Charlie will yell and scream at her untill she rolls over on her back, then he usualy calms down. Now Mind you I take Charlie out to meet dogs at the park EVERY week at least once. You can never stop socializing terriers or they forget and get mean.

• @LiveWWSD:

Oh what a good dog Keoki is. Charli and his Golden retreaver friend are like that when they haven't seen eachother in a while. Charlie will yell and scream at her untill she rolls over on her back, then he usualy calms down. Now Mind you I take Charlie out to meet dogs at the park EVERY week at least once. You can never stop socializing terriers or they forget and get mean.

You know, I think you may be right. When Duke was a young puppy she did take him to puppy classes and he did fine. In fact, his best buddy at class was another Basenji boy.

She said that even have problems now just taking Duke to the vet as he viciously – and let me tell you, he is OUT OF CONTROL. If not for his size, they would be unable to handle him -- growls and snaps at every dog in the waiting room.

Short of mailing him to Cesar Milan's {sorry Querc, LOL} center, I have no clue where to advise them to look for help.
    The dog is very sweet, but very high strung and living with a high strung family. There is no clear leader in the family; the dog is jumping on everyone, etc. and I think that really feeds his behavior when they encounter other dogs.

Sucks to be them. My dog was awesome yesterday. :p

Suggested Topics