• Hello from Wisconsin!

We fell in love with the Basenji years and years ago when we were in college, dreaming about the day when we were married, had 2.5 kids, the house with the white picket fence and what would be the perfect dog for us and our personalities. Then one night we were watching the dog show on TV and the were talking about the Basenji. Our obsession started there, we read up on the breed, researching and learning everything about it. After college we were living with our oldest son in an apartment community that didn't allow dogs, so we kept dreaming about our future Basenji. We just happened to befriended a couple that had Basenjis and we house/dog sat for them quiet often since they both traveled a lot for work. Taking care of their 'Senjis really was the final nail in the coffin for us - we were sold and completely and totally in love with the breed. Well the years went by, we built our house with the picket fence, had a few more children, and one day we just knew it was time to add a pup to the chaos.

While we still longed for a Basenji we wanted to teach our children about rescuing a pup in need, so we started scanning Petfinder and various rescue sites for "the perfect dog" for our family.

We didn't have to look long. This little 16 week old pup kept catching my eye. She was listed as a Corgi-Chihuahua mix, but I couldn't see an ounce of Corgi in her from her pictures. We went to visit her at her foster family and we all just clicked. We took her home that very day.

As Kiya warmed up to her new family and her personality started to shine through, her yodeling started up, and the quirky little behaviors started to show we knew instantly that we didn't have a Corgi on our hands!

A DNA test confirmed it. We had a Basenji Mix!

Kiya, although she has come to us with some very heavy baggage that we are working through with her, she is a complete and total sweetheart. We honestly couldn't ask for a better pup. Our 3 boys, ages 2, 4, and 10 simply adore her and she simply adores them right back. She and my youngest are partners in crime, often getting into mischief together. And to say she isn't spoiled would be telling a big fib.

We are already looking forward to adding another Basenji pup to the family, as soon as late this summer. Our hearts grow fonder for this wonderful breed with every roll of toilet paper shredded, every coloring book destroyed, and every tissue box emptied.

I look forward to getting to know all the Basenjis here and have yodels of fun!!

Here is a quick pic of my pretty girl. We just love her tough underbite - makes her look so tough! Ha!! She may not look too Basenji, but she has 100% pure B 'tude!!

Amy and Kiya

• Welcome to the pack…I love the pick, It looks like she's smiling.....soo cute. 😃

• Welcome to the Forum. My basenji puppy is named Kiya too!
    Kiya has such big beautiful eyes. Too cute!

• Welcome! 🙂 Cute picture!

• Welcome, and yes the underbite is absolutely cute on her!

• Welcome, and very nice dog! Where in Wisconsin are you? I am in Kiel, near Sheboygan. Its nice to see more Wisconsinites on here!

• Welcome to the pack 🙂

• Welcome! Kiya is darling, I love her grin. Kudos to you for doing your research on this rather challenging <vbg>breed, and also for rescuing a mix. I have recently been involved with a couple of basenji mixes that are great dogs! We look forward to more Kiya stories.
    Anne in Tampa</vbg>

• Welcome Amy and Kiya - She is so cute! How could anyone resist falling in love with her! My two furkids, Duke and Daisy are B-mixes too.

• Welcome to the forum!

Suggested Topics