• thanks, everyone…
    no, he is worse, and it hase been gradual, but I just can't get him to eat anything any more. Much has happened since the last post, but last Saturday took him in when he refused to eat again, and the vet noticed his gums were white (why didn't I notice???), and did a blood test again, and said his anemia levels were very low.
    Imuran/Azathioprine, but nothing has changed in a week.

Have tried to feed him everything - baby food, vienna sausages, hot dogs, every kind of sandwich meat available, ground hamburger, ground turkey, canned chicken, chicken noodle soup... the only thing I haven't tried is Spam. Eats it once, then won't eat it again.

I think I am going to have to help him cross the bridge. I hate that I can't do any more for him.

• Houston

I am so sorry to hear that he is worse..poor pup. WHat does the vet want/think you should do from here on out?

We are keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers..

• I am sorry you are having a difficult time, if the worst happens at least you know you gave him a home in his hour of need and made him happy.
    I can identify with feeding something different all the time. When my Basenji was elderly and ill it was a struggle to get him to eat and life revolved around medicating him. Like you say he would eat something one day and then not the next. Sometimes he seemed too weak to get off the settee and eat so i spoon fed him things like mashed potatoe, chicken and gravy. Once i'd got him going he would often polish off the lot before jumping off the settee and then scoffing his dog food .

• I can only wish you the best you and only you can know what you see. I know when our akita had cancer and became anemia it's so hard of a battle after that so hard to watch day after day. My heart goes out to you as you look for that answer. We are all here for you.

Rita Jean

• As hard as it is, sometimes the kindest thing that we can do is let them go…

Hugs....

• My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Probably not much of an option at this point, but a couple weeks ago I could not get Zuki to eat anything so the vet prescribed Mirtazapine. It is used in humans as an anti-depressant and for dogs and cats as an appetite stimulant. It worked almost immediately. We used it for a few days and then backed off and now use it as needed. If anyone ever has occassion to use this I would recommend giving it in the morning. I gave it in the evening the first time and she was quite restless the whole night. After a couple days that side effect went away.

• You all are so wonderful.
    I helped Fred to go meet Jesus today… the vet did an autopsy right after, and he said he had full blown stomach cancer that had spread to the pancreas and liver. So all that I had done was all I could do.

I was his mom for 10 months, a BRAT rescue, and he will be missed.

• Houston

JennnAl..
    I am so sorry to hear about Fred..I know you did anything you could've to make him comfortable..
    I am glad you had him in your life and home for 10 months, he is now running free with no more pain.
    Sending you hugs from us here in Houston..

Suggested Topics