Basenji Growling & Aggression
If your dog has any aggression or growling issues you need to do some basic training things. Seek professional help if you can from a referred dog trainer who has had experience with basenjis. Be sure your dog is not sick or ailing.
You and your family have to be very consistent. You can’t back off once your dog start behaving aggressively, you give them an inch they take a mile. You need to be the alpha dog in his eyes, if you are not that type then don’t pretend to be, they can see through it.
You can control your dog other ways by:
- Do not let your dog sleep with you
- Do not let the dog eat before you, your dog eats last
- Do not let your dog enter the room first
- Do not let your dog pick games to play, which way to go on walks, when he can sit on you. You decide everything, not the dog. No playing any aggressive games like tug of war or wrestling with you
- Do not confront, yell or hit your dog. That creates a mistrustful and dangerous dog. No means nothing to a basenji. He does not care what you think
- Do not stare your dog in the eyes, approach from the front, wake up abruptly, and reach behind his/her back. Let a sleeping dog lay
- Use only positive rewards to get your do go to do what you want & praise praise praise the instant he your dog does something positive
Set your dog up for success not failure. Avoid bad situations, where you can’t control your dog, until you can train through these situations. Don’t expect your dog not to damage or destroy things if you leave them where he can get them. Pretend you own a monkey. everything needs to be put out of reach & locked away.
Crate training is a good idea if you can do it. It’s another way to control your dog. Never force a dog in a crate, make it positive only, his sanctuary & bedroom if you will.
Exercise your dog; many problems will be solved if you tire your dog out. It exercises their minds as well as their bodies. A walk once a day should be essential if your dog is bored or destructive. it’s not bad for you either.
Compiled by: Barklessdog