• From what I understand it is about the white on the neck, like Tiggy has a full collar. From you pics it looks like Tucker has a full collar.

• @TuckerVA:

For some of you who know, what does it mean when a breeder says the dog has 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc collar?

I was just browsing on a breeder site who had pups available and I saw that they said things like…"Brindle 6, 3/4 collar..." I know it has something to do with the white around their neck, but that's where my knowledge of the subject ends.

Just wondering what that means. Relative, what does Tucker have? (Check pics in Member Galleries)

They are talking about markings. So in the case of a collar, they are talking about the white around the neck… sometimes it goes all the way around the neck(full collar) half way around the neck (1/2 collar), etc... so it really only is how much of the white extends around the neck. AND... don't anyone be fooled, price from a responsible breeder is NEVER based on markings... as that is just what they are markings. A Basenji with a full white collar should never be priced more then one with like only a white collar 1/4 the way around the neck.. never ever!

• This site didn't list prices and I haven't a clue as to whether or not they are reputable, just googled for grins… Anyway, pursuant to what you have said thus far, I don't get it. The pictures of the little pups all seemed to have white all the way around. However, some of them where 'offset'. For example, imagine a loop of ribbon formed into a circle. The two ends of the loop are aligned so it makes a 'perfect collar'. Then take the two ends and slide them along each other (not APART) so they are offset a bit, but still touching.

Like this:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    OOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBB
    OOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBB
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    BBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOO
    BBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOO
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

The puppies, some of them, had a collar marking like that but still it said "1/2 collar", even though the white appeared to be continuous. Confusing... Hell, maybe it connected on a side I couldn't see, but I swear the pics showed all angles...

• What site were you looking at?

• Look at this picture of my Maggii and OJ. See on Maggii that the white stops at the middle of the neck and it is just red from there? Look at OJ (on the right) you can't see any white, cause his white stars in the middle of the neck and goes around the opposite side then maggii…

• @tanza:

What site were you looking at?

http://deesbasenjis.tripod.com/d/id6.html

Looking at it again, maybe the collars are as they say they are. Like I said, it may have just been a dumb question. :rolleyes:

I was looking at "Cookies Red Male 1 3/4 Collar". I guess maybe the collar is broken on the right side (as you look at the pic). Thought it went all the way around.

And, for the record, I was just googling around for B puppies (because they are so damn cute!) and stumbled across that site in particuliar. I'm not looking right now…

• I almost got our puppy from her vs. Midge actually! She has really lovely dogs & was so friendly & informative when I called asking a million questions about the breed! Haha. 🙂

• @Ninabeana26:

I almost got our puppy from her vs. Midge actually! She has really lovely dogs & was so friendly & informative when I called asking a million questions about the breed! Haha. 🙂

I am glad that you went to Midge….

• @TuckerVA:

http://deesbasenjis.tripod.com/d/id6.html

Looking at it again, maybe the collars are as they say they are. Like I said, it may have just been a dumb question. :rolleyes:

I was looking at "Cookies Red Male 1 3/4 Collar". I guess maybe the collar is broken on the right side (as you look at the pic). Thought it went all the way around.

And, for the record, I was just googling around for B puppies (because they are so damn cute!) and stumbled across that site in particuliar. I'm not looking right now…

Never dumb questions….;)

• @tanza:

I am glad that you went to Midge….

I am too actually. I have been so incredibly pleased with Dallas. He is such a great basenji 🙂 Plus I know Midge is there if I have any problems, I was a bit worried in that respect about Dee since it seems she breeds a lot & does it as more of a business.

Suggested Topics